Thai Dealer - KTM Press Release

Mar 11, 2008
thaicbr wrote: livin. Its not the same guy from Phuket. I think they are going to have a stand at the BKK bike fest this weeken at Centralworld. It was on Mocyc.com.
I sent email to the guy listed in this thread.. Days maybe a week ago..

Nothing..

Of course the show was coming up, etc etc.. And knowing Thailand I am unsurprised, send 20 emails to bangkok bike related email addresses and your lucky to get one acknowledgement.

Superb to see them here tho.. With KTM, maybe the Yammie FZ8, Maybe a Kwaker z1000.. This sure looks like a good year !!

Dec 27, 2007
Here's the price list and finance terms for the new KTMs:
KTMPriceList.jpg

Ride On!
Tony

Mar 11, 2008
Up there in the rarefied air of the higher end ducis..

Had hoped to see the 990 in line with the Speed triple.. Stunning machine but I think I will fold on those. :(

The 690 Duke is closer to the competition..

Tubber

Oct 20, 2006
LivinLOS wrote: [quote quote=thaicbr]livin. Its not the same guy from Phuket. I think they are going to have a stand at the BKK bike fest this weeken at Centralworld. It was on Mocyc.com.
I sent email to the guy listed in this thread.. Days maybe a week ago..

Nothing..

Of course the show was coming up, etc etc.. And knowing Thailand I am unsurprised, send 20 emails to bangkok bike related email addresses and your lucky to get one acknowledgement.

Superb to see them here tho.. With KTM, maybe the Yammie FZ8, Maybe a Kwaker z1000.. This sure looks like a good year !!
I sent a few inquiries to one manufacturer and got no replies, in the end I said I had the cash and I wanted to buy one immediately, that was the only time I got a reply.
990 Adventure looks the same price as the BMW R1200GS, too salty for me. Stick with what I got.

Dec 27, 2007
Dear Fearless Leader - seems time to start some new threads for the newer brands- KTM, and how about a thread for Tiger/Sachs? Saw the Sach X-Road 250 and the Bangkok Motorbike Show yesterday and looks quite promising-
012810SachsXRoadSm.jpg

Love the Ducati Monster-style frame! :mrgreen:
Don't know the specs but imagine it will be good competition for the Kawasaki D-Tracker.
Ride On!
Tony

Nov 7, 2007
monsterman wrote: Did i not say so, HISO rich Thais are the prefered target market with the biggest meanest Flashiest motors at mega prices....no suprise really.
Well KTM - or anyone else, really - can't do anything about the 100% import taxes. Since their bikes are then 2x overpriced compared to fair value, or indeed to the big Kawasakis built here, they'll target people who don't care about money. It's a no-brainer. Those who'll buy a Mini for 2M baht, or a BMW 5 series for 4M.

Not for the Toyota Vigo crowd ;)

Franz

Jun 28, 2007
Many thanks Tony !! Ooops, that will be a longer project as I expected a little less costs...... :cry: . But anyway I'll stick to what I posted already and go for a 690, just now I need to think until they are actually approved and 'incountry' which version to get. The 990 will have to wait until better economical times...... :D . Still too happy with the FJR........Cheers & welcome Kronreif Trunkenpolz Mattighofen........, FR

Nov 7, 2007
backdoorphil wrote: [quote quote=TonyBKK][quote quote=nikster]
Not for the Toyota Vigo crowd ;)
Ha ha! How'd you know what I drive??? :wink: :wink: :wink:

LOOKS LIKE YOU'RE WRONG (it's not photoshop)

DSC_0654.png

Dang!

Nice bike!!! And you got it before they were officially sold - must be true bike love... :p

DavidFL

Staff member
Subscribed
Jan 16, 2003
Chiang Khong
www.thegtrider.com
TonyBKK wrote: Dear Fearless Leader - seems time to start some new threads for the newer brands- KTM, and how about a thread for Tiger/Sachs? Saw the Sach X-Road 250 and the Bangkok Motorbike Show yesterday and looks quite promising-
012810SachsXRoadSm.jpg

Love the Ducati Monster-style frame! :mrgreen:
Don't know the specs but imagine it will be good competition for the Kawasaki D-Tracker.
Ride On!
Tony
Tony
KTM
https://www.gt-rider.com/thailand-motorc ... d-f43.html

& Tiger / Sachs
https://www.gt-rider.com/thailand-motorc ... d-f44.html
done. I hope they are useful & help to promote motorcycle touring in Thailand.

gobs

Feb 8, 2007
Mmmmmmh, IMHO BMW Thailand has to worry a bit...

In term of specs and prices, the 690 will run on the feet of the 800 GS and the 990 on the 1200GS ones...

Economic competition is good for customers and to "clear" a market...

Nov 7, 2007
Franz wrote: Many thanks Tony !! Ooops, that will be a longer project as I expected a little less costs...... :cry: . But anyway I'll stick to what I posted already and go for a 690, just now I need to think until they are actually approved and 'incountry' which version to get. The 990 will have to wait until better economical times...... :D . Still too happy with the FJR........Cheers & welcome Kronreif Trunkenpolz Mattighofen........, FR
Yes welcome Kronreif Trunkenpolz Mattighofen (and thats located in upper austria ) !!

I also like the 690 meaning the duke r...but actually, i do like all of their bikes . Until i will buy one there will be some few years from now as i have some financial demanding project ahead...but i am glad to see KTM here and really hope they are kiking ass and doing good business and grow....my first Bike was also a Ktm ...franz i am sure you know the 50cc KTM Pony in the ugly green -thats what i had :shock:

happy trails,

mbox

gobs

Feb 8, 2007
Please Austrian guys, can you translate/explain the "Kronreif Trunkenpolz Mattighofen"?
:roll:

Google translation gave me nothing!
:cry:

Nov 7, 2007
gobs wrote: Please Austrian guys, can you translate/explain the "Kronreif Trunkenpolz Mattighofen"?
:roll:

Google translation gave me nothing!
:cry:

Hi gobs,
here some explanation.
Kronreif ( surname of a main shareholder at KTM ) Trunkenpolz ( surname of engineer,shareholder and founder of KTM) Mattighofen ( is a town in upper austria's Braunau province where the KTM factory started)

hope that helps,

mbox

Oct 12, 2005
I own one of them thar KTM's and can translate for you my friend.

KTM = Kan't Take Much and Keep Throwing Money :lol:

340322900_jQDBx-L.jpg

Or rumor has it.....
the first two K and T stand for Ernst Kronreif and Hans Trunkenpolz the founders. the M stands for Mattighofen which is the location of the KTM manufactoring facility in Austria.
[/img]

Franz

Jun 28, 2007
Reinhard (mbox) well yes I remember the Pony with 50 cc, had on my own a 50 cc KTM but at that time it had a Sachs engine and was a powerful little bike but unfortunately it went through several pistons and cranks/pushrod changes...... :oops: . Cheers, Franz

Franz

Jun 28, 2007
Although we are such a small country now it's 4 bikers ibn LOS I know who are from Austria: mbox999, nikster, gerhard from SSR and myself.
Time to get together :lol: :wink: !! Cheers, Franz

Oct 17, 2006
Looking at the price list they are no worse than HDs and look at how many new HDs for over 1m baht get sold each year , this week alone there are 4 new HDs in Pattaya 2 cost over 1.6m all bought by Farangs . At least 100 NEW hDsa re sold each year in Thailand and another 200 gray import second hand bikes are sold most are low mileage late models too.

Nov 7, 2007
monsterman wrote: Looking at the price list they are no worse than HDs and look at how many new HDs for over 1m baht get sold each year , this week alone there are 4 new HDs in Pattaya 2 cost over 1.6m all bought by Farangs . At least 100 NEW hDsa re sold each year in Thailand and another 200 gray import second hand bikes are sold most are low mileage late models too.
Honeslty , i did not expect much different prices . Main problem here is importing Bikes is so darn expensive on taxes...Kawasaki did make a nice move to manufacture the er6's here and can offer bikes in a lower pricerange now. Still i want my KTM :D but need to wait a bit :?
mbox

bill

Mar 29, 2004
Cambodia taxes not as high as Thailand

49.5% of invoice value on a brand new bike and 39.5% of customs book value on a used bike.

Back of the envelope I reckon I could import a new 690 from USA to Cambo for ~USD15k all up. (based on USD9K for new 690 in US)

Tax on a low kilometer/demo model would attract the lower customs book value tax which is USD2200 x 39.5% for a used 690.
All up that would total around USD10k to bring one over. (based on USD8k for low km-used/demo model).

Just bought another DRZ and set it all up so I wont persue the KTM for while

Marco

Oct 15, 2006
Khuang Nai
Franz wrote: Although we are such a small country now it's 4 bikers ibn LOS I know who are from Austria: mbox999, nikster, gerhard from SSR and myself.
Time to get together :lol: :wink: !! Cheers, Franz
Yeah, small but beutifull country,,even i lived ther 4yrs in beside Salzkammergut's lakes, what a beauty in the summer and winter