The 10 Day Northern Thailand Ride (we’ve Returned)

Deano747

Subscribed
Aug 24, 2008
"My favorite part of the ride was the loop from Nan 1026 , 4010, 1217 and 1216."

Thanks for this - I haven't done that loop previously & now saved for my next trip up.

Gregthemagnificent

Ol'Timer
Subscribed
Apr 14, 2018
Perth Australia
If there was a town that summed up the essence of the trip & touring in North Thailand, what was the vote for the favourite overnight stop?

Favourite overnight stop was Chian Dao Hut. I had the best room and the only one with air con. We liked the location, nice and quiet, and the rustic rooms that
appeared to be made of old packing crates. The guarden and settings are nice and random, giving the place a foresty feeling. The resturant area is open and lends its self to sitting around drinking beer. And the owner/manager was very friendly and helpful.

DSCN3885.jpg

DSCN3889.jpg

Its difficult to pick a town that summed up the essence of the trip, but I liked Phayao. The street running along the lake side is interesting and scienic.
I also liked Chiang Kham, no tourists and the Rom Mai Sangchan Restaurant out the back of the Chiang Kham Grand villa is spacious and authentic.

Moto-Rex

Subscribed
Jan 5, 2008
Great report Greg.

I think Chiang Dao Huts is pretty hard to beat. Nothing like being in one of the huts during a big thunder storm, with the rain beating on the roof, and the flashers of light from the lightening coming through the window.
The restaurant across the road had great food the last time I was there.

Moto-Rex

Reactions: Eoin Christie

ianyonok

Subscribed
Dec 9, 2008
Hi Greg,
Sounds like you guys had a blast. Very nice to meet up with you at Viang Yonok Hotel in Chiang Saen.
Ian

Gregthemagnificent

Ol'Timer
Subscribed
Apr 14, 2018
Perth Australia
Hi Ian,

Great to see your British bikes and hear their stories. If everything goes according to plan I'll be back next November and most certainly stay at the Viang Yonok Hotel in Chiang Saen.

By the way, my new KTM790 Adv is a nice bike - quick and nimble with good off-road ability.
I have the S model which is a road bike good in the dirt, while the R model is a dirt bike good on the road.

Reactions: Eoin Christie

TonyH

Subscribed
Sep 13, 2019
Vic, Australia
And I'm jealous. Should be there myself.

It would appear that the bikes from C&P are good - probably get mine from there next time now that TBB don't hire directly.

Absolutely recommend C&P Big Bikes. Bikes are immaculately maintained. We just returned from an 8 day trip covering pretty much all of the OP route (minus Mae Hong Song Loop) on three VStrom 650s.

ianyonok

Subscribed
Dec 9, 2008
TonyH, I would agree with you on CP. We have had a few riders come to our hotel on CP bikes this season and the machines looked in good condition.