Three New 820cc Ducatis

DavidFL

Staff member
Subscribed
Jan 16, 2003
Chiang Khong
www.thegtrider.com
skybluestu;292789 wrote: Last weekend Ducati Chiang Mai did a roadshow in Chiang Rai and the sales manager said the Hypermotard and Hypermotard SP will be sold here in 1-2 months, he said around 530k for the standard version and 600k for the SP version which isn't far off the UK price. He said they will be assembled here but wasn't sure if they would be slightly downgraded like the Monster 795 was.
Are these the Hypermotards you're talking about

292919=16811-GTR-Ducati-KCD.jpg

292919=16810-DSC_6297.jpg

2013 models already in Vientiane.

Jul 28, 2008
Yes, looks like they are the Hyperstrada though which is the touring version priced inbetween the Hypermotard and Hypermotard SP. I was told they'll be sold here in Oct so prices should be confirmed any day now. If they give me a decent trade-in price on my 796 Hypermotard I could be tempted by the SP :)

Dec 27, 2007
Probably a dumb question, but are the prices on the http://www.ducatithailand.com site not "confirmed"?

Jul 8, 2011
TonyBKK;292959 wrote: Probably a dumb question, but are the prices on the http://www.ducatithailand.com site not "confirmed"?
I thnk they are refering to the prices of the three new 820s

Jul 28, 2008
The prices for the Hypermotard/Hyperstrada haven't been officially released yet which is why they aren't on the website but Dirtshop in BKK seem to have got their hands on one. A Thai friend who knows the owner has now said there will be a standard Hypermotard assembled here for around 560k but the SP will initially be import only and around 800k! This is different to what the guy from Ducati Chiang Mai told me so we'll have to wait and see.

https://www.facebook.com/Dirtshopthailand?fref=ts

bung

Feb 6, 2006
I've been thinking about one of these.....They aren't the greatest on a long run though, or are they?

With the release of the Hyperstrada have Ducati made a "mini" Multistrada?

After a bit of research it appears that some of the touring parts on the hyperstrada are available after market. That means that a Hypermotard can be fitted out with a rack, centre stand, screen and touring seat etc but I don't think the panniers will fit (not an issue for me) and with the better riding position and bigger fuel tank should be able to handle the 250 k odd range without too much hassle given its better riding position.

If the prices come in at 560 and 600 for the SP it may be time to put the Thruxton on the market and get a deposit on an SP...

It is possible then that we will get a scaled back Asian version down specced and the SP same as the rest of the world but up at 800k?

Jul 8, 2011
Ian Bungy;293567 wrote: Well that's Bloody Ridiculous! The SP is the one to Buy but at that Price I would much rather have the Diavel or 1200 Multistrada!
Yeeah. Nowadays you need to have a very good reason to buy a big bike that is not assembled/manufactured in Thailand.

http://www.ducatithailand.com

Nov 7, 2007
Hypermotard and Hyperstrada are going to be delivered 1st and second week of November. Not exactly a long wait!

Ian - yeah the SP is the best deal in the USA because it has a significantly upgraded suspension and doesn't cost all that much more, at least by Ducati standards. In Thailand it's very clearly the worst deal at nearly 2x the price hahaha. But whatever I'm not complaining. The difference from standard to SP is not huge. My guess is that the difference between the Hyperstrada and the motard is much bigger than between the motard and SP. Also if you really wanted to you could upgrade to SP spec, just throw in some Ohlins & such. It will cost more than the difference between SP and motard in the USA, but much less than the difference in Thailand ;)

BTW I put down a deposit at Ducati CM. Easiest decision of my life because if I could have any bike at all, it would be this one, and it costs way less than any of the imports. No brainer.

Sep 19, 2006
www.chiangmai-xcentre.com
Well done Nikster! I am tempted Myself for the Price but the Tiger is going better than a New one so no point to change at this stage! Did You order the Hypermotard or Hyperstrada? I would go for the Hyperstrada Myself as You get all the Touring stuff and a more relaxed riding position and a Centre Stand for only 50.000 Baht more?

Nov 7, 2007
Ian Bungy;293793 wrote: Well done Nikster! I am tempted Myself for the Price but the Tiger is going better than a New one so no point to change at this stage! Did You order the Hypermotard or Hyperstrada? I would go for the Hyperstrada Myself as You get all the Touring stuff and a more relaxed riding position and a Centre Stand for only 50.000 Baht more?
Went with Motard - better saddle feeling for me, and it has a red frame. The strada loses 2cm front fork travel - I am not sure why and without a real riding test it's impossible to tell but I think there's a danger the strada will be less exciting to ride. Much more comfortable for sure, but the seat and windscreen will be available aftermarket - looks like Thai prices will be over the top but the staff at Ducati CM already told me they're happy to install parts bought from Hong Kong etc. I like the better seat, but I'd also like a harder suspension, it fits my riding style better. With the rear shock I should probably have done some more research - it's more adjustable but that doesn't automatically mean it's better - I imagine the whole setup is just a bit softer and more appropriate for touring?

US prices are around $200 for the windscreen and $300 for the saddle - very reasonable.

I don't need a center stand (adds weight); I also don't want the bags. If you include all the upgrades then the strada is definitely a steal at 50k more; but if like me you don't want the whole package, pricing is much more even.

Can't go wrong with either model IMO.

Sep 19, 2006
We just checked out Both the Hypermotard and the Hyperstrada in Khon Kaen this weekend and the Hyperstrada had a Much better Riding position but still has Room for improvement with the Seat! If I brought the Hypermotard I would have to fit a New Seat and Handlebar Risers before I could Ride it Home! Unbelievably Bad! Apart from those two things the Bike itself seems Incredibly Small and Light. Like a Dirt Bike. Wonderful! Let Me know how You get on with a Better Seat as there are a Number of Guys here interested and that was the only Sticking Point for All of them!

Nov 7, 2007
Picked up the bike yesterday at Ducati Chiang Mai.

Only had time to do 60kms but wow, what a nice bike. This is something else. I think it's love at first sight :))

Ian I don't know why ppl are whining so much about the seat, I liked it. It's hard but it's supposed to be hard - better feel in the twisties, I think. I've already ordered the touring seat but now not sure I'll install it. Yep. I like the hard seat. While it's hard, it's also way more comfortable than say a CRF250 or a KLX250 - it's much wider and much better. I didn't have any problems sitting (mostly) on the CRF for long days so this should be fine.

You might be right about the handlebar position - did not feel it while riding but today my hands are tired.

Great bike, and I am extremely happy to have chosen the Motard and not the strada. Windscreen is coming also, the strada screen consists of four parts:
48110901A STAY, WINDSHIELD 1 pc $ 31.24
48710621A WINDSHIELD 1 pc $ 208.27
75840621A RUBBER PAD 4 pc per pack
77211151A SCREW, SPECIAL 4 pc per pack

I've ordered them from Ducati Thailand. All in all costs about 9,600 Baht here, vs USD 250 over there, a $70 premium - I'd likely pay that much for shipping. This is the Ducati OEM item for the Hyperstrada, not the "touring windscreen" accessory. The accessory screen is cheaper in the USA, but it looks way taller and bigger and I think it'll ruin the look of the bike. The Hyperstrada windscreen looks as good as it can get on such a bike. Sure it's nicer without but the screen doesn't stick out too much.

Vanity shot on Ducati CM's Facebook page here - I was doing my best to "look handsome" as instructed 5555

1239130_541969589217450_453194501_o.jpg

Sep 19, 2006
Very Cool Bike Nikster! Beautiful! My Only complaint with the Seat was because of the Shape? For Me it kept Me to far forward and I like to move back a bit which isn't possible! I don't mind the Firmness. They do Seem Extremely small and Light, same as a Dirt Bike! Lovely! Congratulations! Hope You enjoy it!

Nov 7, 2007
Ian Bungy;294706 wrote: Very Cool Bike Nikster! Beautiful! My Only complaint with the Seat was because of the Shape? For Me it kept Me to far forward and I like to move back a bit which isn't possible! I don't mind the Firmness. They do Seem Extremely small and Light, same as a Dirt Bike! Lovely! Congratulations! Hope You enjoy it!
Hi Ian - well they may look dirt bike size but they really are not, it's a 200kg bike so it feels not too different in size from the Versys, even though it looks much smaller (and is a bit smaller too). Much closer to Versys than a 250 that's for sure.

I cancelled my order for the touring seat - may still do that if I find I need it on longer rides but so far, going 3 odd hours, didn't want it. The windshield on the other hand, oh year. It's OK up to 130 or so but after that it gets windy.

Nov 7, 2007
TonyBKK;294709 wrote: Congrats on the new bike Nikster! Looks wicked fun!!!! :happy4:
Thanks Tony! Yes, so far she did not disappoint as far as fun is concerned. It's so high-tech, and there's so much precision in the handling it's incredible. It feels rock hard and it's going on rails in the corners. Compared to the versys everything is tighter, harder, faster, stronger 555

I've never had a bike in this price category so that's all new to me.

I am still getting used to the power - gotta be careful to not hit anybody from behind & also to not stop too fast and get hit from behind as this bike accelerates and decelerates way faster than I am used to. Today is the first day I am feeling semi-comfortable on it in the city.

Still breaking it in so taking it - relatively - easy

Jul 28, 2008
Lightemup;294711 wrote: *drool*
The HyperMotard is my dream bike as well, giving it some serious consideration atm.
Maybe consider this 2011 Hyper that someone (ahem!) is selling as has the full Termignoni system (100k baht) and many other upgrades. No ABS or Traction control (does a bike like this really need TC?) but has the 2v air-cooled engine that Ducati had pretty much perfected so less maintenance issues and, according to the Ducati forums, many who have ridden both prefer the 796 over the 821. https://www.gt-rider.com/thailand-motorcycle-forum/showthread.php/38981-2011-Ducati-Hypermotard-796-Accessories

Jan 16, 2008
I put down my deposit on the bike at Ducati Chiang Mai today.
I saw yours earlier but after riding a new one yesterday, I was bitten.
Good luck with your sale.

Nov 7, 2007
Lightemup;294778 wrote: I put down my deposit on the bike at Ducati Chiang Mai today.
I saw yours earlier but after riding a new one yesterday, I was bitten.
Good luck with your sale.
Congrats!! I was sold when I first sat on it in the showroom.

Sep 19, 2006
nikster, I think I saw You Blast past the X-Centre early the other Morning? Are You going to get the Performance Exhaust System? They are pretty Quiet standard and don't really Portray the Legendary Ducati Roar!!!

Nov 7, 2007
Ian Bungy;294808 wrote: nikster, I think I saw You Blast past the X-Centre early the other Morning? Are You going to get the Performance Exhaust System? They are pretty Quiet standard and don't really Portray the Legendary Ducati Roar!!!
Hey Ian, yes that was indeed me, sorry for not stopping I was meeting friends. Still breaking her in.

The bike is plenty loud for me, maybe that Harley has destroyed your hearing Ian 555 :) joking aside I think the sound is great. I am not into loud bikes as it is, I just like pleasant noises and the Hyper produces plenty of those. As far as power is concerned I have a feeling I won't grow out of it anytime soon; I checked this bike has almost 2x the torque of the new Honda 650F, and 25hp more too.

After a week of owning a Ducati I have to say this is a very different experience. I find myself washing the bike after coming home - I've never washed a bike before! Ever! But she's worth it, you just can't let her stand there all soiled.

Acceleration is wild, I really have to watch out in the city now. I'm not used to anything bigger than 650s so this is a new chapter. Suspension is also in a different category as the Kawas I am used to - of course it better be given the price difference. On my home stretch on the canal road I didn't pay attention and suddenly was cornering at 150. The Hyper handled that with no issues whatsoever, testament to the suspension and setup. Sticks to the road, tracks perfectly. The Versys would always start to wobble a bit at high speed turns around 130.

Nov 7, 2007
Enter a glowing review - 6 months of Hypermotard as a city bike and some light touring, and one major trip I can say I love it. Best bike ever. 8,000km.

Positives:
- Zooms through the city like a scooter.
- Keeps up with superbikes on the highway at 200kph+ (very few roads even allow that but it does...)
- Extra stable in curves thanks to a fantastic suspension. No wobble at any speed turn tested up to 150+ or so.
- Acceleration literally will kick your ass. Twisting the throttle hard means a hard kick in the behind at nearly all speeds.
- Ride by wire no delay throttle
- Riding modes are super useful depending on mood and conditions - I switch all the time. Touring as default, Sports for highway and twisties, and urban for rain. The three riding modes are programmable so there's a lot of customization possible. Riding mode can be switched on the fly.
- Wheelies.
- Great fuel economy - same or slightly better than the Versys which has half the HP and torque

Negatives:
- Small tank capacity limits range; only 14.5 liters of the 16 liter tank are usable, light comes on at 4l remaining.
- Takes a bit of work to lean into curves which did surprise me. It's much less flickable than the Versys even though it's the same weight. I think it's due to the longer wheelbase and geometry. A trade-off for high speed stability, I suppose.
- Reliability. Sigh. Starter motor went, was replaced under warranty; then there was a short in the throttle control which introduced me to "limp" mode where the throttle doesn't work at all and the bike remains in a high idle state.

Had an interesting comparison test recently with the Versys, actually my own old Versys. Gave the Hyper to my friend to try, and used my old and now his Versys. I had no trouble keeping up and was surprised how much easier the Versys is to lean; however, the Versys also feels sloppy and vague compared to the precision tool that's the Hyper - it feels a bit like steering a boat where the Hyper feels like you're using a scalpel. There's much more feeling of control on the Ducati which inspires more confidence. Also, nothing happens when you twist the throttle :p