Tyres - what where to get them.

DavidFL

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 16, 2003
12,521
2,944
113
67
Chiang Khong
www.thegtrider.com
Davidfl;258278 wrote: Happy at last. Finally sourced something decent...
pirelli-mt90-tyre-001.jpg


pirelli-mt90-tyre-002.jpg


a Pirelli MT90 Scorpion. A big thanks for the fast efficient service from the guys & gal at Showpow in Bangkok.
No slowness on their part, only mine being away for a few days, plus time considering all the possible options; & there were only a couple.
Check out
http://www.showpow.net/index.php?option ... &Itemid=38
for more info on Pirelli in Thailand

17,000 kms & time for a new one. I'm happy as I was only getting 6,000 kms out of a rear Bridgestone Trail Wing.
So I'm sticking tom Pirelli for a while.
 

Ducatillon

Ol'Timer
Feb 23, 2010
100
0
0
Hi guys,

I am thinking about putting MT 60 RS Corsas or Scorpion Trails on my ER6N. Does anyone have experience with either of these?

Which one would you recommend for 70/30 to 60/40 road/offroad? And it should be good in rainy season.

Thanks!
 

Fatlad

Ol'Timer
Nov 27, 2010
123
0
0
Ducatillon;266666 wrote: Hi guys,

I am thinking about putting MT 60 RS Corsas or Scorpion Trails on my ER6N. Does anyone have experience with either of these?

Which one would you recommend for 70/30 to 60/40 road/offroad? And it should be good in rainy season.

Thanks!

On the second set MT60Rs Corsas now on my Versys, great tyre for me as like to take it on dirt tracks 50% time. So it would depend where you will be riding, if mostly sealed roads then the Scorpion Trail would be a better and longer lasting tyre as the MT60s rear only lasted 6500 km. Dont know what the speed ratings are for the Scorpion Trail but the MT60RS are same as the oridginal tyres.
 

ronwebb

Ol'Timer
Jul 25, 2010
505
4
18
Fatlad;266676 wrote: On the second set MT60Rs Corsas now on my Versys, great tyre for me as like to take it on dirt tracks 50% time. So it would depend where you will be riding, if mostly sealed roads then the Scorpion Trail would be a better and longer lasting tyre as the MT60s rear only lasted 6500 km. Dont know what the speed ratings are for the Scorpion Trail but the MT60RS are same as the oridginal tyres.
Has anyone tried MT90's on a Versys? I think DavidFL uses them on his AT and gets pretty good kms out of them and they are good for Laos. From what I understand they are about 80% on road and 20% off.
 

ntb

Ol'Timer
Aug 18, 2009
69
1
8
How are these tires for dirt riding? You really got 17,000 kms out of them?What kind of riding do you mostly do? By that I mean percentage of on/off road riding. I am looking for on/off tires for my Suzuki SM rims.
Davidfl;265980 wrote: 17,000 kms & time for a new one. I'm happy as I was only getting 6,000 kms out of a rear Bridgestone Trail Wing.
So I'm sticking tom Pirelli for a while.
 

rickypanecatyl

Active Member
Feb 16, 2012
29
1
3
Any chance of getting MT21's or Dunlop 606's in Chiang Mai?

Short of that anyone in Chiang Mai stock 605's (the stock tires on the KLX)... thanks!

mastamax;264288 wrote: Hi,

My original tyres on my klx 250 are getting at the end of their life. What tyres are best for mostly off-road (80/20) here in Chiang Mai area? I heard the "quick" tyres are good and cheap, also the Pirelli MT-21 (but don't know if they have them for the KLX).

Thanks for sharing any advice/experience you had with knobbies tyres on the 250ies bikes.
 

LivinLOS

Ol'Timer
Mar 11, 2008
534
0
0
I have had no issues buying Dunlops here (brother uses the 604's for dirt road not off road use).. The 605's should be no issue and assumed even Kwaker would have them. I tend to buy via Pairoj online (toger05 @ yahoo . com ) who ships them up from bangkok. Basically hes been a good service for my sport road / super moto / dirt selections for a few years now and so I am just happy to keep putting business to someones whose done me good service.
 

bombdefuzer

Ol'Timer
Dec 7, 2008
57
5
8
Anyone know where I can get a decent price on a set of tires fro my Harley Heritage ?

Metzler Whitewall ME880
Front 72H MT90B16 M/C TL
Rear 74H MT90B16 M/C TL

Or an equivalent tire?

Thanks
 

SilverhawkUSA

Ol'Timer
Mar 15, 2003
1,528
9
0
www.daveearly.com
I buy Dunlop from Kawasaki in Chiang Mai and they usually have them in stock. For Metzeler, BMW is usually able to order them and get delivery within a couple days. Currently they can't get Metzeler Sahara in certain sizes and Pirelli. But neither can anyone else (size dependent).
 

rickypanecatyl

Active Member
Feb 16, 2012
29
1
3
I thought I"d post up the answer I found to my own question here:

Both the Kawasaki dealer and Pistons stock the Dunlop 605's

Kawasaki: N18 46' 51.4" E98 58' 56.8"
pistons: N18 48' 06.5" E98 59' 42.8"

They were aproximately 1,100 and 1,500B front/rear

I'm still looking for something like a Dunlop 606 or MT21. There is a HUGE difference between Dunlops 605's and 606.

The 606's are about 90% as good on the road, 300% better off road and last about 40% as long. Compared to a full on MX tire the 606's are 300% better road, 80% as good off road and last 3X as long. MT21's are in that same category.
They both have their place :) I'm just hoping to find the 606's :)
 

rickypanecatyl

Active Member
Feb 16, 2012
29
1
3
Any good place for dirt tires in the south? Hat Yai/Phuket/Yala?

Ok so I'm guessing there is no where to find "serious off road but dual sport tires" like Dunlop 606's or MT21's here, but I've found lots of Dunlop 605's which is much better than anything I've found in Malaysia.

I'm heading south now from Chiang Mai and could get the 605's here but I do have a good 1,500 KM left on my trail wings and so would prefer to get the 605's as far south as possible. Anyone know who I might try in the south? Thanks!!
 

Sjarelke

New Member
Feb 15, 2012
1
0
0
Hey you guys,
I'm pretty new here, on the forum AND Thailand that is. Doing an Africa trip.. and somehow ended up in Chiang Mai. Now, my tyres are nearing their end and I'm looking for new ones. Will be heading to Laos and Cambodia afterwards, and will be looking for offroad as much as I can. I'm hoping to find MT21 front and any good tyre rear. Contacted the Pirelli guy in Bangkok.. or at least tried to; unfortunately didn't get any replies. Any chance of picking up tyres here. Will be checking out the Kawasaki dealer tomorrow, but fear the 605's will not last long on a fully loaded KTM990... Can anyone tell me where BMW is located?? No coordinates please, don't have a GPS!!

Oh, sizes 90/90-21 and 140/80-18.

Hope to hear something...

Thanks.

Oh, and if interested, check it out: longsolodown.wordpress.com
 

ronwebb

Ol'Timer
Jul 25, 2010
505
4
18
Try the Cockpit tyre shop which is on the Hang Dong road R108 going south from the Airport Plaza. The shop is on the west side of the road. They balance wheels too.
 

mauris

Ol'Timer
May 15, 2009
57
0
6
A few months passed since last post in this thread. It's about a time to change the tires on my versys, so I was just wondering if there are any recent news for Chiang Mai. :)
I'm going for the set of Trail Scorpion? I checked the Kawasaki Big Bikes and they're asking 11,600. Any other suggestions/recommendations greatly appreciated.
 

mauris

Ol'Timer
May 15, 2009
57
0
6
I'd love to go off road sometimes but I find versys too heavy.
Answering your question: most of the time would be city, from time to time some dirt roads (in case I don't find more asphalt ;) ).
 

David Race

Ol'Timer
Mar 4, 2011
130
0
0
I can recommend cockpit Hang dong road just before Tesco Lotus.
If they don't have what you want they can get it in super quick and there fitting includes balancing which Kawasaki cannot do.
I have bought there a few times and have no hesitation in recommending them for what ever Tyre you want.:happy2:
 

mauris

Ol'Timer
May 15, 2009
57
0
6
Thanks a lot David for the tip. I will check them up tomorrow. BTW, seems Kawasaki also offers balancing now.
 

TonyBKK

Ol'Timer
Dec 27, 2007
3,854
11
38
mauris;283295 wrote: I'd love to go off road sometimes but I find versys too heavy.
Answering your question: most of the time would be city, from time to time some dirt roads (in case I don't find more asphalt ;) ).
If you ride mostly pavement with the occasional dirt road thrown in then Pirelli Scorpion Trail might be a good choice. It's a 90/10 (or 75/25 depending on who you talk to) dual purpose tire that has excellent grip and decent life. They are a bit more expensive but IMO one should never skimp on tires and brakes :)

283307=12817-ON-OFF-TyreRange3_08.jpg


I'm sure someone stocks Pirelli up in Chiang Mai? But if you can't find any ShowPow will ship them to you. (http://www.competizioni-moto.com/) or give Charlie a call: 089-003-8886
 

brian_bkk

Ol'Timer
Mar 30, 2010
2,139
278
83
TonyBKK;283307 wrote: If you ride mostly pavement with the occasional dirt road thrown in then Pirelli Scorpion Trail might be a good choice. It's a 90/10 (or 75/25 depending on who you talk to) dual purpose tire that has excellent grip and decent life. They are a bit more expensive but IMO one should never skimp on tires and brakes :)

283307=12817-ON-OFF-TyreRange3_08.jpg


I'm sure someone stocks Pirelli up in Chiang Mai? But if you can't find any ShowPow will ship them to you. (http://www.competizioni-moto.com/) or give Charlie a call: 089-003-8886
Yamaha do.. Rob's rear tyre was buggered.. So before we left Saturday we went to Yamaha and he was able to get a new tyre.
I know nothing about tyres.. But they seemed to have a choice which was a surprise as others around town needed to place an order.

Cheers
Brian
 

mauris

Ol'Timer
May 15, 2009
57
0
6
David Race;283297 wrote: I can recommend cockpit Hang dong road just before Tesco Lotus.
......
I missed the Cockpit on HangDong Rd. and got the Scorpion Trail from Kawa. I just realized today that the cockpit is on the right side (going to HangDong) and just after Tesco ;-)
I have to say that the tyres feel really well. I have done some riding in the city and then Doi Suteph with lots nice curves. Pleasure.
Thanks a lot for all the recommendations in the forum. The (right) choice was much easier.
 

DavidFL

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 16, 2003
12,521
2,944
113
67
Chiang Khong
www.thegtrider.com
Just a tip off to say that I think there are no Pirelli Scorpions for the Versys at the moment - stock is out.
I was lucky to get what was maybe the last set around at Kawasaki Chiang Mai.
I don't know when new deliveries / stock will come in via Show Pow, but if you're tyres are down & you might need some soon, then start looking around now to see what is available. Otherwise there might be none when you need to them go riding in the riding season that has started.
 

Mactao

Member
Oct 22, 2012
23
0
1
Davidfl;283624 wrote: Just a tip off to say that I think there are no Pirelli Scorpions for the Versys at the moment - stock is out.
I was lucky to get what was maybe the last set around at Kawasaki Chiang Mai.
I don't know when new deliveries / stock will come in via Show Pow, but if you're tyres are down & you might need some soon, then start looking around now to see what is available. Otherwise there might be none when you need to them go riding in the riding season that has started.
Just to confirm what David says. I am in contact with Show Pow since end of October. As per today they still don't have any stock, they told me that they might receive some at the end of the month. Will update when I get some good news! Take care
 

TonyBKK

Ol'Timer
Dec 27, 2007
3,854
11
38
Big thanks to Satonic who sent me the link to this great shop that sells only dirt tires:

Call to make sure they have what you need in stock, send payment by bank or ATM transfer and they ship to anywhere in Thailand via EMS.
Fast, friendly, cheap and efficient!
Link: http://www.dirttrackthai.com/smf/index.php?topic=2096.0
Phone: 081-8781740

Ride on!

:happy1: