Umphang

Oct 4, 2006
With a long weekend coming up, I am contemplating coming up from Bangkok to ride to Umphang.

Trouble is, I would have to go from Mae Sot to Umphang and back in the same day (Sunday) to allow enough time to return to Bangkok on the Monday.

I have read Davidfl's posting from Apr 2003 where he did the trip in one day, but he said the road was a bit rough in places and therefore pretty tiring.

Colin seems to rate it (Mar 2005), but he spent the night in Umphang.

So, if anyone has done the trip, there and back in the same day, within the last year, I would pleased to hear the latest.

DavidFL

Staff member
Subscribed
Jan 16, 2003
Chiang Khong
www.thegtrider.com
John
The weather more than anything will be the deciding factor. This is the wet season remember & more often than not it will be raining (to some degree) in the mountains. How do you go with hrs of wet mountain riding where you can’t see anything except fog 'n rain?
If it were me Id not be so optimistic with a such limited amount of time, for an arduous mountain ride in the wet season. If you've never been there, then Mae Sot may well be enough if it is raining most of he time.
Good luck, but take care on R105 Tak – Mae Sot, the surface should be quite treacherous in the wet. Whatever ride you do, I’m sure you will have a nice trip report to contribute after the event.

Oct 4, 2006
Thanks for your input, David.

I think you have to accept if you want to ride, particularly at this time of the year, you're going to get wet at some point. However, I will postpone this trip to later in the year as the whole purpose is to enjoy the road and the scenery.

Whatever Plan B proves to be, I'll post an appropriate report.

razin

Jun 11, 2006
Hi,
I rode my busa from Mae Sot to Umphang and back to Tak on a same day in December last year. The weather was perfect then. One way distance is about 160km. The last 60 km to Umphang was so-so but the first 100 was marvelous. The rest area is about halfway, located between a beautiful valley. My only regret was I do not have the time to visit the waterfall then. And I happened to be there at Umphang because the map I have showed that there's a road leading south :) but it was an unforgetable experience for me. You must love twisties to enjoy Umphang on a bike.