Unusual / Interesting Temples

ZCM

Subscribed
Jun 23, 2011
cm
I couldn't find a topic specifically for temples, but if there is my apologies.
When I used the search function lots of separate posts came up..
If there is a specific thread, please point me in the right direction, and I will post in there instead.

I realise there are LOADS of temples in the region, but some stand out more than others.

I enjoyed this creepy one in San Sai, Chiang Mai, on Wednesday.

Wat Mae Kaet Noi (Google Map link)
Do NOT watch if you are sensitive to disturbing images !

This "Hell Temple" in San Sai is one of a few Hell Temples in Thailand depicting the Buddhist vision of Hell.
("Hell" in loose terms).

No serene images of meditation and harmony here haha. (Well actually, there is later on in the temple, but only a small part of it). Instead you are faced with the punishment of your sins committed on earth, in all it's gory forms.

Tortured souls writhe in agony as they are put through horrific ordeals by grotesque demons. For additional effect you can listen to horror sounds and watch moving parts and flashing lights, for the cost of ten baht per display. So take plenty of ten baht coins for the slot machines dotted around the temple grounds, if you want to immerse in the full effect.

The signs at each display are only in Thai, but there is no mistaking what crime has been committed. It becomes a unified language with these depictions and very clear as to what the meaning is.

An interesting temple and only around 15km / 30 minutes from the centre of Chiang Mai.
Worth a look, if you have a strong constitution ^^^

On my search I did find that David posted some great images of this temple back in August last year.
His photos are HERE

ZCM

Subscribed
Jun 23, 2011
cm
Another interesting temple I found on Wednesday was Wat Hua Dong Samakkhitham in Mae Rim.
Was quite surprised to turn a corner in a small side street to find a replica of Kyaiktiyo Golden Rock to the right of me!
Gobsmacked in fact!

Wat Hua Dong Samakkhitham (Google Map link)

The monks were still working on it (although seems close to completion) and the Abbot came over to speak to me.
He was very young and wearing orange robes (rather than the red robes of Burmese monks).
I should have asked him for more details, but I am rather self-conscious and shy around people I do not know.

Anyway, quite an interesting find imo and a good photo op temple too.

20180718_163711.jpg

mSYypJ

DavidFL

Staff member
Subscribed
Jan 16, 2003
Chiang Khong
www.thegtrider.com
  • Love
Reactions: ZCM