Up For A Ride - Who's Coming?

Jun 19, 2009
BJ wrote: Ok I will see you Saturday Noon HT for the
Big GT riders Moto GP Chiang Rai weekend.
Looking firward to it and meeting you. And a nice ride
on the weekend. Anyone else want a ride come along.
I might be able to make this. Although the helmet was stolen off the bike today, so I have to do something about replacing that. I'm still in Pia but going to leave early tomorrow and head down to Chiang Mai, so if I make it'll see you outside the hospital at 12.00 if you don't see me, then don't wait.

Apr 20, 2009
Yawn, just got back late from watching a very long and kinda boring Transformers 2.

Tomorrow sounds good. Hope you can make it Roger; the ride from the Hospital to Chiang Rai should be about 3 hours (?) I think. Bummer about the helmet.

BJ, where exactly is the hospital? I have a pretty good idea, but I've never paid attention to it and I don't want to drive past it.

BJ

Aug 27, 2008
HT

The hospital is about 500 metres before Doi Saket turnoff. There is a few signs + I'll be on the left just after the bridge and soi as you come to the built up area. I'll park the bike so you can see it easy and i'll look out for yours.
See you at 12. Hope you can make it Roger.

Jun 1, 2008
Just to let you know I am heading North myself today and had planned two or three days going to Chiang Rai and back. Maybe our paths will cross over the next couple of days. If I get to Chiang Rai tonight Ill look out for you

my phone 0813821822

cheers

T

Jun 19, 2009
Well guys, I did make it back here to Chiang Mai with no helmet, watery eyes and in 2.45mins! But after that and then still needing to find the replacement helmet. I've missed hooking up with you guys. :( I'll watch the GP at The Un Irish Pub, and drink a beer to you guys up in Rai.

I'm thinking I need to come back here in December and do a few more loops, its just way too much fun to ride once!

I'm still here till the 1st, so if anyone wants to do a Sunday ride or early week day. Give me a shout.

Jun 1, 2008
Riding again with Brendon and Liam today we have decided on a ride for next week. If anyone is interested feel free to jump on.

I was party to the discussion but stand to be corrected by Liam or Brendon if I got any of this wrong.

Meet Kafe 7 am Tuesday 7th and ready to roll. Ride to Mae Sarieng stopping for breakfast somewhere on route and stay overnight somewhere in Mae Sarieng.

Following day, ride to Mae Hong Son and stay there over night. Third day, ride back to Chiang Mai.

Apr 20, 2009
Tuesday, July 7 (The Loooong Day)
Chiang Mai - Lampang - Tak - Mae Sot - Mae Sariang (Breakfast in Tak, Lunch wherever)

Wednesday, July 8 (The Ridiculously Short Day)
Mae Sariang - Mae Hong Son

Thursday, July 9
Mae Hong Son - Pai - Chiang Mai

http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?hl=en&ie ... 876709&z=7

Tuesday is going to be a really long day. Maybe we should consider something to shorten that day and make the second a little longer.

BJ

Aug 27, 2008
Liam and Tony

That is a big first day. :shock:
Do you think we can stop somewhere around Mae Sot for the night.
Then have an early start and ride to Mae Hong Son the next day.
I think that would be a good day. Let me know.
I will be going for the 3 days.

Auke

Nov 10, 2003
Well, I am not joining as I am quite busy with mapping stuff and anyway I would be in the truck so probably not up to your speed.

Yes, it is a long day although that is relative as David and companion (sorry can't find the post on the forum) did the Mae Hong Son loop in 1 day on step-throughs even though they lost two hours in Mae Hong Son when they had a massage.

You may consider changing the trip itinerary to include the 106 (Lamphun - Li - Thoen) instead of the boring highways 11 and 1 and this still would leave you ample time to enjoy the scenery on the way to Mae Sot.

Jun 1, 2008
Without wishing to pass the buck, I am going to pass the buck :wink:

Not being local I am happy to follow your advice and planning. I guess a more evenly paced trip would be better though. Are we trying to fit too much in?

Would over night in Mae Sot and then a look at Mai Sariang for lunch next day work?

I'll go with the flow. Glad you can make the 3 days Brendon

T

Sep 19, 2006
www.chiangmai-xcentre.com
Tony,
You have nothing to Worry about Mate! Your Original Plan is Great I think!!!
Down to Mae Sot is Quite a Boring Ride on a Slow small Bike? I would chose this:
Day 1,
Chiang Mai down either the 106 past Lamphun or the 106 past the Airport, On to Chomthong, Hot and stay the Night at Mae Sarieng. Check out Doi Inthanon on the Way or some other Roads if you have time?
Day 2,
Mae Sarieng up to Mae Hong Son.
Day 3,
Mae Hong Son to Pai for Lunch then Back to Chiang Mai.
All these are Easy Day Rides with Good Scenery :wink:

Apr 20, 2009
That sounds good, it's just that we were trying to figure out a way to get that stretch of Highway 105 between Mae Sot and Mae Sariang into the trip. It's such a beautiful highway along the Thaungyin River. Plus we are all riding ER6n's so we can make good time.

This stretch of Highway 105 running along the river with the cliffs in the background was really pretty when I rode it before.

captureuyy.jpg

cimg37431.jpg

One of these three options maybe?

Option 1) 3 days, 2 nights. First night in Mae Sot, 2nd in Mae Hong Son. Day one we can take 106 to avoid the boring 4 lanes, and stop off at Bhumiphol Dam near Tak for some pics. Day two will be pretty long, a full day's ride. I rode Mae Hong Son to Mae Sot a few months back and it's not that far, but I was pretty tired at the end. If you don't mind riding all day, no problem, but I told myself I'd stop at Mae Sariang for the night next time I did it.

Option 2) 4 days, 3 nights. First night in Mae Sot, 2nd in Mae Sariang, 3rd in Mae Hong Son. This would break up the 2nd day into 2 more leisurely, pleasurable rides. I know that Brendan and Tony like to ride slow and take lots of pictures, same as me, so if you guys have the time, maybe this would be a little better and more enjoyable? I like this one because we would still get to ride that beautiful stretch between Mae Sot and Mae Sariang, and I would actually have enough time to take pictures this time and maybe post a ride report for once!

Option 3) 3 days, 2 nights. Skip Mae Sot and just do as Ian Bungy suggested above. I'd be a little sad to miss the Highway 105 :( but if we don't have 3 nights to spend maybe this would be a little better.

I vote for #2. Any other suggestions?

Map
http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?hl=en&ie ... 77162&z=14

capture2x.jpg

Mar 15, 2003
www.daveearly.com
Auke's suggestion and your last map would be what I suggest. If you want to add a little more to your Mae Sot to Mae Sarieng run, go to the google map you have posted. Follow the 1194 toward Myanmar to Mae Som Laep. This is the area that has seen extensive fighting between the Burmese and Karien extending over to the Thai side. Thus the refugee camp. A lot of history there and pretty scenic.

The last time I was there, depending on the situation in Myanmar, they even offered a boat trip on the river. . Your choice of where you cut over to the 1194. I did it traveling from N to S, but it looks like a couple of ways to cut over north of Sop Moei. It is worth checking out in my opinion as you will have extra time that day

Apr 20, 2009
SilverhawkUSA wrote: Auke's suggestion and your last map would be what I suggest. If you want to add a little more to your Mae Sot to Mae Sarieng run, go to the google map you have posted. Follow the 1194 toward Myanmar to Mae Som Laep. This is the area that has seen extensive fighting between the Burmese and Karien extending over to the Thai side. Thus the refugee camp. A lot of history there and pretty scenic.

The last time I was there, depending on the situation in Myanmar, they even offered a boat trip on the river. . Your choice of where you cut over to the 1194. I did it traveling from N to S, but it looks like a couple of ways to cut over north of Sop Moei. It is worth checking out in my opinion as you will have extra time that day
Thank you for the suggestion. Added to the map.

captureqec.jpg

I spoke with BJ tonight, and unless Tony objects, it looks like option 2 is a go. 3 nights, Mae Sot, Mae Sariang, Mae Hong Son.

Any other suggestions?

BJ

Aug 27, 2008
Thanks everyone for the suggestions.
Liam I was pretty keen on going to Mae Sot and up along the border.
Highway 1 was just a quick way to get there. Not for scenery, we were going to have a try doing some real k's without stopping :D .
And after Mae Sot enjoying the road ride and scenery.
Let's try the 7 am start first :wink: and see how we go after that.
What do u think guys.

tyke

Mar 16, 2008
Is there a slot for one more on your road trip ? Bike wise i think i should be able to keep up to you guys, and i also like to take the time to take photos. Having lived here for two and a half years i've been up to Mae Hong Song, but never been down Mae Sot way and this sounds like a great trip.

Apr 20, 2009
Of course, the more the merrier. We're a slow paced group though, so if you want to go fast we might be a little annoying. BJ wants to stop for coffee every 90 minutes, my bladder is the size of a lime, and TonyKiwi takes more pictures than a Xerox machine. We'll try to make good time the first day though; off at 0700 from The Kafe. See you there.

What are you riding by the way?

Apr 20, 2009
What time does The Kafe open anyway? Is there somewhere nearby that you can get a little something into your stomach before 7am?

DavidFL

Staff member
Subscribed
Jan 16, 2003
Chiang Khong
www.thegtrider.com
HTWoodson wrote: What time does The Kafe open anyway? Is there somewhere nearby that you can get a little something into your stomach before 7am?
Liam
The Kafe opens at 8AM, but you dont get much sense out the staff until 9AM in my experience. (The girls like to hit Tawandaeng late at night). My money would be on the Bier Stube for on early brekky - but I think they only open at 7AM, which almost does the trick; but what's with these early starts at the crack of dawn?

Sep 4, 2007
I remember trawling around for an early breccy once and ended up at the Top North Guest house, the Top North Hotel probably the same, reasonably priced, OK breakfasts and certainly open at 7am, maybe earlier.
I too like the early starts this time of year, a little cooler and maybe avoid the rain later in the day. But then I'm not usually dancing until the early hours, (or even watching the girls dancing until the early hours)

tyke

Mar 16, 2008
An early start is not a problem for me, nor is a leisurely pace, My bike is many times faster than myself (ZX 10R) . Hopefully there will not too many off-road sections on our route ! as i've taken it down dirt tracks before and the ground clearance is pitiful ! I look forward to meeting up ,no matter where we start from or at what time. I too am one of those people who is happy to go with the flow on these things.

Jun 1, 2008
Davidfl wrote: [quote quote=HTWoodson]What time does The Kafe open anyway? Is there somewhere nearby that you can get a little something into your stomach before 7am?
Liam
The Kafe opens at 8AM, but you dont get much sense out the staff until 9AM in my experience. (The girls like to hit Tawandaeng late at night). My money would be on the Bier Stube for on early brekky - but I think they only open at 7AM, which almost does the trick; but what's with these early starts at the crack of dawn?
To be honest, the early start is probably down to me. I am tradiitonally an early riser and like to get as much into the day as is possible. If a later start is taken, someone arrives late, then breakfast added on before you leave then a large chunk of the day has gone. That's all, I am still pretty excited about all of this so want to fit as much in as I can

If anyone wanted to leave at a later time I am more than happy to meet up en route. We have all shared phone numbers.

My original idea was to get out of CNx early and maybe ride for an hour and find a good spot for a feed on the way. Brendon can have his ciggy, Liam can take a leak and I can take a few snaps :lol:

Tyke, looking forward to meeting you.

cheers

T

Apr 20, 2009
Man, you aint kidding.

capturep.jpg

Weather looks like hot and wet. :( Oh well, all the more reason to get an early start, maybe can dodge some of the rain and heat in the mornings.

BJ

Aug 27, 2008
Hey Guys
The weather will do what the weather will do.
We can plan for 6 months on the forecast and it will still be what it will be.
Lets take some wet weather gear and see what happens.
Anyone is welcome.
And f@ek the weather.
Tony you and me both down the road early OK.