Update on Rd 15 from Saravan north to Ta Oi and onward.

Auke

Nov 10, 2003
Last week while in Saravan had a quick look at the ongoing road construction on Rd 15. Some 22 km. has been finished and asphalted and they are busy pushing further north.

Here is the new road with next to it the old dirt road:

DSC01318C.jpg

Many new bridges have been constructed and where you previously had to use the ferry to cross the Xe Don the bridge has replaced the ferry although it is still there.

DSC01319C.jpg

Jul 28, 2007
Thank you for this information. It's news like this that tells me I better get back to Lao before they put in a chain of KFC's.

Nov 23, 2005
Hi

So whaT HAPPENS FURTHER NORTH OF TAOI.
On Gecko map and GT rider map, there are roads going North through Nong and connect Rd # 9 at Dong between Xepon & VN border.
Anybody has info if this is feasible with moderate difficulties or is this Extreme rally??
Thanks for any up date!!

pH

Auke;243975 wrote: Last week while in Saravan had a quick look at the ongoing road construction on Rd 15. Some 22 km. has been finished and asphalted and they are busy pushing further north.

Here is the new road with next to it the old dirt road:

DSC01318C.jpg

Many new bridges have been constructed and where you previously had to use the ferry to cross the Xe Don the bridge has replaced the ferry although it is still there.

DSC01319C.jpg

bill

Mar 29, 2004
Philippe;273917 wrote: Hi

So whaT HAPPENS FURTHER NORTH OF TAOI.
On Gecko map and GT rider map, there are roads going North through Nong and connect Rd # 9 at Dong between Xepon & VN border.
Anybody has info if this is feasible with moderate difficulties or is this Extreme rally??
Thanks for any up date!!

pH

Hi Philippe.

I did that route in Feb 2009.
It had a few technical sections. I'd rate it around the same difficulty as the Smugglers trail in the Cardamons, Cambodia.

https://www.gt-rider.com/thailand-motorcycle-forum/threads/30166-Sth-Laos-HCM-Trail-Nong-Fa-Lake-Attapeu

I've PM'd you a link to another possible source of info for you.