*warning - Graphic Content* - Request For Accident Stories.


Jun 23, 2011
*NOTE*: this may seem a little morbid depending on your mindset. It is a controversial topic.
However, for me the focus is on learning and also tales of overcoming adversity.
For many of us, our accidents were significant moments in our lives and in some cases defining.
Some accidents were through no fault of our own and some user-error.
Certainly on most we will have faced learning curves.

I hope members will view this request in a positive light, rather that feel it is something grotesque or voyeuristic in nature. Thank you.

( I received prior permission to post this)

Photos of me. 2 separate bad accidents (7 years ago):

I wish to put together a couple of books (2nd book proposal coming soon - which is Thailand specific - and I think will interest many).

This first book is inspired by my own (two) nasty accidents 7 years ago (they happened within short periods of each other). One had me nearly having my foot amputated, the next one I landed on my face (open faced helmet), and was very distressing - as you can imagine.

(You can read about these accidents here:
(1st accident): http://motogirlthailand.com/moto-talescooter-accident-warn…/
(2nd accident): http://motogirlthailand.com/moto-tale-my-accident-warning-…/)

So, I wish to put together a book of stories, about riders own personal accidents. I think this could be an inspirational and touching book of riders stories. I have been meaning to do something like this for many years.

How did you overcome the hurdle of this accident?
Did you over come it?
.. and did you continue to ride or not (if able)?

The book submittion criteria is as follows:
Submit a story about any motorcycle accident(s) you have had.
Best if from 500 to 1000 words (approx.)
Please include images.

Some questions for inspiration:

1. What bike were you riding?
2. Where were you riding?
3. What happened?
4. What was the outcome?
5. How did you get through it?
6. What have you learned from this experience?
7. What do you think could have prevented the accident from happening?
8. Any other relevant info you wish to include?

INCLUDE (optional):


Contact name (nickname, etc):

All accepted submittions will be be kept up-to-date regarding the progress of this book, but please allow time for me to collate all the stories and images.

If interested in participating please email your story and images to [email protected]

Thank you so much!



Staff member
Jan 16, 2003
Chiang Khong
I've had a few over the years & it amazes me that I'm still alive, such that I don't believe you will kill me riding a motorbike.

The easiest one to dig out is here
Finally Did It....

DATE; Friday 16th Feb 2007
Dropped the Africa Twin whilst riding it! It's only taken 180,000 kms.
Result lots of pain – a broken arm, plus a broken mirror & turn signal on the bike. Not much eh.

What happened – riding down a steep descent & hit a rock in bulldust, which tucked the front wheel straight under & instantaneously down I went, shoulder first into the dirt. Sort of like a stab in the back it was all so sudden & without any gradual loss of control.

The spill happened between Hongsa & Nam Ngeune / Huay Kon border crossing, checking out the road & border crossing prior to our scheduled departure on the 19th.
Within 15 minutes I was on my way back to Hongsa in a pick up. Now let me tell you that bouncing around in the tray of a beat up old pick for 20 kms on a bad dusty corrugated road has been the most excruciating pain I’ve ever felt in all my bike spills so far. AND. this was preceded by the tail gate of the pick up collapsing as I was sitting on it & trying to edge my way onto the tray. The fall onto the ground was as sudden as the spill off the bike!

The Hongsa hospital (more like an outdoors field clinic) is better than the one in Muang Sing as it was made of cement & not wood. But Hongsa has no X-Ray facilities, not that we needed them, as it was pretty obvious it was broken.
The Lao recommended I be trucked to Xayaboury – 4 hrs & 96 kms away on a very bad road, where I could be x-rayed & then moved to Luang Prabang, all in the wrong direction for me as Chiang Mai & home was to the west-north-west.
So the ol GT Rider put his battered thinking cap on & decided that the best way was straight home, with the bike if possible & direct to his fave doctor, & GT Riders' hero Dr Sudhee the orthopedic surgeon.

Amazingly the Nokia phone of Som, Armin’s female companion for the Hongsa elephant trip had a strong Thai GSM signal, whereas the other 3 phones a PDA, Siemens & another Nokia had zilch & we arranged for The Snail, alias David Lek to cruise over the border at Huay Kon & pick me & the bike up.

The next step was to be transported to the Lao / Thai border. This was a slight problem, because the 2 official hospital pick ups were being used for ferrying Lao govt officials around for the Elephant Festival & they did not want to let them go for medical business. Eventually we found a pick up belonging to a Dr from Xayaboury who offered to transport us to the border.

So after a night in the Hongsa hospital it was off to the border & get picked up by The Snail & transported back to Chiang Mai with the broken arm, tucked up inside my t-shirt & wrapped with the one small bandage (it was better than nothing Sudhee said) the Hongsa hospital had. 6 hrs later I was in Cnx at 9.30 pm, showered & tucked in bed hoping to last out the night, testing out my pain limit, with a planned visit to Dr Sudhee, at his Sunday clinic.

Well I did not quite last the night & at 11pm had to slip down to Ram 1 hospital for a jab of Tramadol & the compulsory X-ray (No X-ray = no jab). Surprise, surprise indeed my left humerus was broken right at the very top – but in 4 places making it almost shattered.
I resisted the greedy Drs request for an immediate op to pin it & returned home to bed with my doting teerak, now the not so happy go lucky g/f singer.

Today after a visit to the good Dr, who says hello to all the GT Riders who have used him, the news is not so great, as it is probably going to be too difficult to operate on to insert a pin or a plate, due the presence of a main artery running through the joint, and it will be a long wait, hopefully & a successful natural healing process.
So it looks like the GT Rider himself is going to be off the road for quite few months, and the only thing that will make me happy & jealous at the same time is lots of road & trip reports coming in good folks…...

Ah yes the photos inserted were taken by my good self, before Silverhawk & Armin could take theirs. So despite being somewhat battered I still beat them to the draw, as well as legally crossed the closed Lao (Nam Ngeune) / Thai border at Huay Kon first.

Next clinic appointment is Tues after which I hope to be up & about in the Kafe sometime.

More funky hospital photos will come from Silverhawk…….so you can all have a laugh at my expense, while you can mates.
Ive dug out these links off GTR for you

Mr Joe - serious accident

Hongsa Elephant STUFF UP!

Injury Report

Finally Did It....

Probably the most amazing & disturbing story is that of Repa riding in Laos
Repa accident in laos


Apr 8, 2015
I think the Versys my have been an unlucky bike for me?[/QUOTE]

Nah - I put it down to ...
A. Heights of the Tide.
B. Phases of the Moon
C. Alignment of the Planets.

Least all mine were blamed on one or the other - or all !


Staff member
Jan 16, 2003
Chiang Khong
Here's some bravery for motorbike races..

Top 10 Hardest Rides Of All Time

Just stumbled across this one from Visor Down

Top 10 Hardest Rides Of All Time

10. Jorge Lorenzo
Where: MotoGP, Le Mans
When: 2008
What: Yamaha M1
Why so hard?: Two broken ankles and he still manages a 4th place

During practice at the Chinese MotoGP Jorge had a stunning highside rendering both ankles broken and utterly useless. Nobody told that to the often outspoken Spaniard though, who after push starting a stalled bike off the line rode to an incredible 4th place. After 22 laps of pure agony in high humidity, Jorge celebrated his 21st birthday by watching Rossi and co take their place on the podium.
Two weeks later Jorge was back on the bike for the French round at Le Mans. After being lifted onto the bike he promptly jumped off it in the first practice session. When 99% of other racers would have gone home to lick their wounds Jorge opted instead to lick a lollypop. Practice session two saw crash number two but still Gorgeous George hadn’t had enough. The second place that he rode gave Yamaha a vital 1-2-3 on the podium.
He was carried up the steps to the podium, then sat on a chair (lollypop still in gob), much to the admiration of fans and fellow racers. If ever there was any doubt over the courage and determination of the modern racer this surely silences it.

9. Hakan Carlqvist

Where: French 500 MXGP
When: 1983
What: Yamaha YZ500
Why so hard?: Sheer guts and stamina beats Honda trio to the title

Fitted with an air-cooled engine nicknamed ‘The Motor of Death’ in the US, the works Yamaha 500 ‘crosser was not the most sophisticated or smooth unit in the days of big MX two-stroke engines. Swede Hakan Carlqvist was the only man who could win on them, even though he had to put tape all over his battle-scarred hands to stop them blistering.
After suffering what turned out to be two cracked ribs and a trapped nerve in his spine at the previous Namur race, the always tough and gritty Carlqvist rated the next moto in France as his hardest ever, particularly as he had already determined to stop early, until his mechanic intervened.
“I thought I’d just hurt the back muscles and tried to race. But it was a bigger problem than I realised. I had a flat tyre in the first moto when I was leading. I lost 15 points there. In the second race, I could only push 80 per cent. I had so much pain; I couldn’t race. Thorpe was closing on me and I thought I must stop. Then my mechanic gave me a signal for three laps. Just six minutes left. I can make it! Velthoven and Malherbe were going so slowly. I gassed it and caught up eight seconds in one and a half laps!”
The exhausted Carlqvist had to be lifted off his bike and collapsed, but he had earned enough points to allow him to win the title against three much more sophisticated water-cooled Hondas. In an era when men were men, Carlqvist was the toughest of them all.

8. Hubert Auriol
Where: Paris-Dakar, Twins Class
When: 1987
What: Cagiva Elefant
Why so hard?: Completed rally stage with two smashed ankles

Halfway through the Paris-Dakar of 1987 the assembled bike racers took time out to honour the memory of the series organizer, Thierry Sabine, who along with several others had perished in a helicopter accident in the previous Dakar race. It was a poignant moment, but for sheer drama nothing would beat the penultimate day.
The race was a three-way affair between the Honda of Cyril Neveu, the BMW of Gaston Rahier and the new force in the world of twins, Cagiva, and their eventual lone works rider Hubert Auriol.
Leading by a whopping 10 minutes as he approached the end of the last stage of the second last day, a shortcut eventually ended Oriol’s race in crunching, brutal fashion. But not right away…
Auriol hit a tree root with his foot before hitting the tree himself. He even stood up before realizing he had smashed his ankles. With his team-mates disqualified and the weight of Cagiva’s underdog hopes on his shoulders, Auriol tried to remount and was eventually helped back onto his restarted machine by two other riders. How Auriol made it the final 20kms to the final checkpoint of the day is without explanation. You can’t ride sections of the Dakar without taking all your weight through the feet, and Hubert did just that for 20 agonising kilometres.
With his sickening compounded leg injuries finally revealed to the shocked onlookers as he made his miraculous return, he was helicoptered away for successful restorative surgery back in France. Auriol’s chances of a well-deserved win for Cagiva went with him, with the final 200 ‘easy’ miles unbridgeable even by Auriol’s guts and determination. Victory was just out of reach, but it was the finest moral victory of the Dakar, one never to be forgotten.
As Auriol himself later said on Italian TV, in a message directed to his team manager and all the Cagiva employees, “Roberto, tell them we beat Honda!”

7. Noriyuki Haga
Where: Miller Motorsports Park
When: 2008
What: Yamaha YZF-R1
Why so hard?: Fighting on with effectively no collarbone

Noriyuki Haga is a bit of a tough WSB cookie, always has been. Which makes the fact that it took him 28 racing years to break any bone in his battered body unbelievable.But when he finally broke one, it was truly broken.
In qualifying on Saturday at the new Miller Motorsports Park in Utah, he clanged into a slower rider under braking, went over the front of his bike and broke his right collarbone so badly it looked like an explosive device had gone off inside it. The bone was in four distinct pieces, the two middle ones floating around like oversize splinters of wood, providing all the support and comfort level of a broken bra strap made of barbed wire.
But still Nori went 10th in Superpole, with no operation, no plates, no pins, just some bandaging and a vein-load of extremely strong painkillers. Of his raceday prospects Haga said, “I will be racing, I just need to see how I am.”
Next day, astonishingly, he not only raced in the opener, he crashed again, at the same corner as Saturday! But Haga rode in race two, finishing with 10 points in sixth place.
“In the end it was impossible for me to do more than I did because I couldn’t move. I was happy to race today because nobody thought I would be able to.” Nutter.
Or as his ex-racer team manager, Massimo Meregalli, put it “What Noriyuki did was like a miracle; I don’t remember anything like it.”

6. Mick Grant
Where: IOM TT Senior
When: 1979
What: Honda CB1100R
Why so hard?: Riding the TT with a broken pelvis

In the same North West 200 event that had claimed the life of Tom Herron two weeks before the 1979 TT, Mick Grant had crashed heavily and hit an old GPO phone box. Unsurprisingly, he had broken the front of his pelvis, as well as damaging ribs.
“I spent a day and half in hospital then discharged myself,” he says today. “ At the TT the medical guy was called Doctor Beatson. Before he would pass me fit he said I had to do four press-ups and sit-ups, thinking I wouldn’t be able to do them. But there was a fantastic physio in Douglas hospital and she arranged for me to go swimming at the school she worked at and I spent eight hours a day getting treatment. It’s amazing how your body responds. I went in for my medical inspection finally without crutches, did the required press-ups and sit-ups - and that pissed on the Doctor’s bonfire. I had purposely taken no painkillers, so it was not easy.”
No, doesn’t sound it.
“I knew I could never push start the bike but I was allowed a pusher on the grid. I led it pretty well from the start with Alex George and Mike Hailwood behind me for nearly three laps, but it was getting too much for me. Something broke in the engine anyway but whether or not I could have continued much longer anyway, I don’t know. I couldn’t move my left leg when I stopped and had to be lifted off the bike.” And that, to be honest, is enough to get into anyone’s top 6 slot...

5. Dave Thorpe

Where: Namur 500 MXGP
When: 1989
What: Honda CR500
Why so hard?: Busted knee, but defended points lead

The legendary Thorpey kept it all alive to win the 500 MX title in ‘89, even with a savage knee injury holding him back.
“I had to have my left knee iced and taped between races, it was absolutely bloody awful. I’d wrecked it in a French international the previous week. But I was lucky. At Namur, there were only three places I might have to put down my left leg. Those needed serious thought. The rest of the course, I could get away with it.”
Despite being in obvious agony, Dave rode the race of his life. “I’d never ridden at eleven-tenths for a whole GP moto before!” he says. “Both Eric Goebers and I gave our all that race. Our pace through the woods was extremely rapid. Those trees were going past visibly 10 miles an hour quicker than normal - I was so hyped-up I could ignore the pain. Eric had some problems leaping up the steep hill to the arena. Then I found a three-inch patch which was good to take off on. I got close to him and that was it. Win or lose, those sort of races are so enjoyable, with the crowd so excited and everyone pumped up. And I always enjoy Namur so much. I was frustrated by injuries in 1987 and ‘88. It was nice to go there almost in one piece!”
It was a vital race in his successful Championship campaign, and Thorpey took to the podium with his left knee in thick bandages.

4. Carl Fogarty
Where: Sugo WSB
When: 1995
What: Ducati 916
Why so hard?: Winning despite multiple fractures hours before

Foggy had no great love of Sugo, despite having won a race there in 1993, and taken a podium the year after. He said it was a long way from home and there wasn’t much of an atmosphere there, and he was more keen on winning the world title at Assen anyway!
Be careful what you wish for.
On lap two of the first race he had the mother of all highsides, doing a by-now famous mid-air bicycle ride with his legs before he hit. So violent was the initial launch that it detached the fuel tank in mid-air. After a smack down that would make any WWF wrestler retire in shame, the 1994 World Champion had snapped two bones in his ankle, broke two small bones in his right hand, suffered a hairline fracture on a toe, badly bruised his right hip and took some knee ligament damage. Foggy was a mess.
In spite of all this, he blitzed the second race by 5.474 seconds from the soon-to-be departed Yasutomo Nagai. An astonishing performance, the painkillers helping him but making him nauseous in the process.
“If I was to choose one moment in my career, Sugo was when I was at my ultimate best as a rider,” says Carl. “I don’t think I could ever do that again. I almost threw up into my crash helmet on the slowing down lap. As soon as I finished I felt sick to the core. I was as white as a sheet and had to lie down before I fainted.”
Carl took to the podium, beaten to hell. So impressed was his then-arch rival and hate figure Colin Edwards that he bought Foggy Jack Daniels and cokes all night in the circuit hotel, to the point of it reacting with the massive amounts of painkillers in his system. Foggy was extremely ill the morning after, but he’d survived the day before.

3. Kevin Schwantz
Where: Donington 500GP
When: 1994
What: Suzuki RGV500
Why so hard?: massively injured but still beat Doohan one-handed

One of Schwantz’s biggest ever highsides came in qualifying at the Donington GP, when modifying his line to miss a slower rider exiting the Old Hairpin. He landed hard and fast. He had been riding with a cast on his injured wrist already with three bones in his hand simply floating around. Hardly great preparation to hold off Mick Doohan, who would have taken Schwantz’s title from him with a win on Sunday.
In the race Kevin’s unbowed spirit made him not only ignore all of his problems, but eventually hunt down the fast-starting Doohan. And he was doing that in between bouts of shaking his wrist on the straights to get the circulation going again. What would turn out to be his last ever race win in GPs was also his toughest, and he passed Doohan for the flag - around the outside.
His mum and some of his mechanics were in tears in pitlane because they knew how painful and hard his ride was. For Kevin, in a career swamped in special moments, this one stood out because “I did it one-handed after that big crash in qualifying… it would just about stop wheelying and then I’d switch hands just long enough to give my right hand a bit of a shake - and then go back to it.” Absolutely the stuff legends are made of.

2. Barry Sheene
Where: Cadwell British Championship
When: 1975
What: Suzuki RG500
Why so hard?: Sheene leads grand prix after huge injury tally

Two gigantic crashes, one that smashed his right leg to pulp and a second that splintered both his legs, preceded two miraculous recoveries that made Bazza a star before he had even won a single 500GP.
His hardest ride, and of course there are a few candidates, was probably his Cadwell comeback, a mere seven weeks after the infamous Daytona crash that left him with a catalogue of injures. They ran to a mashed left thigh, a broken right wrist, forearm and collarbone, plus six busted ribs. As he said himself, “If I’d been a race horse, I would have been shot.”
Seven weeks later, in April 1975, he was back in action, but not before a short and very secret test session at Cadwell, in which he started slow but finished fast. After lapping at his usual pace after 20 or so laps, he said to his crew, “okay, pack the bike up. I know I can still beat the bastards.”
In his autobiography, Leader of the Pack, Sheene himself said, “With an 18 inch steel rod in my left leg, minus enough skin to upholster a settee, and needing to have regular pain-killing injections, I had to return to riding a motorcycle at the first opportunity to convince myself I was capable physically of doing the job again. My comeback at Cadwell Park seven weeks after the Daytona smash, told me that all would be well.”
What he omitted to say was that he had to pull in from the lead near the end of that race because his hands were so weak they could not operate the controls properly anymore…

1. Mick Doohan
Where: Sao Paolo, Brazilian 500ccGP
Where: 1992
What: Honda NSR500
Why so hard?: Mick fights appalling pain and fatigue to protect lead

In late June 1992 Mick Doohan fell at the Assen GP and suffered a savage lower right leg break - spiral fractures of the tibia and fibula. After botched early treatment, amputation was on the cards. It was horrendous.
After rescue and relocation, a radical op performed by Doctor Claudio Costa’s Clinica Mobile saved his legs from being sawn off and speeded up his recovery. Seven weeks after his crash, as weak as a kitten and with his leg withered and useless, Doohan came back to defend what was left of his once imperious 57-point Championship lead at the hideously dangerous Interlagos circuit.
His treatment had included radical surgery, sewing both his legs together and transplanting muscle tissue from his torso to his calves, to help get the dying muscles become oxygenated by the living tissue.
Mick, until that stage an unbeatable prospect, knew he was in trouble in Brazil and was a physical wreck. “I’d lost six kilos, and had been pretty lean to start with; I was run down, beat up and on some pretty strong pills,” says Mick with typical ‘no worries’ understatement.
He eventually finished 12th, but in 1992 that meant no points and all that grit and risk had been for nothing. He finished the Championship in second place, losing out to Wayne Rainey by just four points. “That was my toughest race ever, but I was happy that I had finished,” he says. “I got back to the pits and Costa and another doctor were crying. It was all pretty emotional.” But the legend that was Mick Doohan had been born. The infamous Gold & Goose photo of him in appalling pain, with his stick-thin leg clearly on display and Dr Costa offering comfort, shows the true grit of the man. And that’s why Doohan’s Sao Paolo effort is unquestionably our hardest race of all time.


Dec 9, 2008
Blimey........ you are not looking your best in those photos....

I had an accident in 2005, near Doi Luang, NE of Chiang Rai..
I keep the place it happened marked on the latest GTR map I carry, and will remark it on the next map.

2018-07-11 08.58.33.jpg

This is what it looks like close up...........
2018-07-11 08.59.09.jpg

1. What bike were you riding?
1959 Triumph Thunderbird pre-unit 650.

2. Where were you riding?
I had turned off the 1173 at Mae Bong, just past Doi Luang and was approaching this bend heading southwest, at Bahn Pa Sang.

3. What happened?
I was doing about 50mph and recall braking for what is a slight left bend where the road goes over a river.
I was then surprised by the 150 degree sharp left bend. I recall braking as I was riding into the bend, then went into a left then right skid, before the bike and I ran out of road and dropped into a storm drain.

4. What was the outcome?
I had a riding mate with me, we organised a song thaew and with help from the locals, put the bashed bike in the back. I had some bruising and ripped jeans and I went with the bike back home.

5. How did you get through it?
It was tough, I was heartbroken. In 1999, I had completed a 3 1/2 year restoration on the bike and it was looking superb, after thousands of hours work and lots of dosh spent. I had just 5,723 miles on the rebuilt Smiths Chronometric speedo.
Due to sadness, working away and building a hotel in Chiang Saen, I didn't start repairing the bike for 3 years. The fork stanchions are not like a modern bike which are thin walled and can snap in an accident.
These old Triumph stanchions have 5/32" wall thickness, so they had bent back 15 degrees. Lots of new parts went on, bashed the front mudguard back into shape and welded up a few splits etc. I also realised on rebuilding, that the nacelle was incorrect. It was actually for a later bike and explained why I couldn't get the headlamp alignment right. I picked up a new correct nacelle top on Ebay and a newly made pair of nacelle legs, from Ace Classics in London. Finally, the bike was running again in 2010. Due to that delay (more than 4 years) I had to get a new registration plate and book for the bike.

6. What have you learned from this experience?
As I has pulled the front brake lever hard, the brake cable outer conduit had passed right through the adjuster, so I had effectively no front brake. The brake lever adjuster central slot should be the same size as the inner cable. I had not noticed the adjuster I put on, had a large central hole.
A new adjuster fixed this. I have learned that when restoring bikes, check all the brake system parts more than thoroughly. 50's technology 7" SLS brakes are not great anyway, but if all parts are in good shape and there is close to 100% lining surface area contact, they are OK, except for emergency stops, which should be planned in advance..........
After this crash, I also decided to upgrade from a pudding basin helmet to a Jet style helmet (a nice leather and silk lined Davida)

7. What do you think could have prevented the accident from happening?
Understanding the necessary fit of brake cable and adjuster.

8. Any other relevant info you wish to include?
Yes. I always ride now with GPS, zoomed down so I can see in advance, the full shape of the approaching bend. This is just the greatest safety feature, which also allows you to take blind bends with a little more confidence.
There are many bends like the one I fell off at, in the north. That bend now has chevron bend markers rather than one arrow sign. No doubt lots of accidents have occurred there and will continue to do so.

Sorry, no photos are available of my crashed mia noi, not allowed.......


Jun 23, 2011
Oh gosh I am so sorry Ian. I think having lovingly restored something only to have this happen must have been really heartbreaking indeed. I completely understand why you couldn't touch it again for several years.

Thanks for sharing .. I wasn't sure if this thread would get any more responses. I think a few people have found the concept a little morbid too..which really isn't my intention.

Eoin Christie

Jul 16, 2019
I've had a few gory crashes, but this one was largely painless (except for confronting my sister), and, at least from my side, funny...
When I was 15 years old, I had a job after school working in a theatre restaurant (as an under-age wine waiter). I had a motocross bike (TM125), but had taken my sister's under-utilised Suzuki A50 to ride across town to work.
This little A50 was a fun bike to ride. My Uncle, who was a motorbike dealer and racing nut, had given it to my sister for her to ride to university. Being the excellent Uncle that he was (RIP, Uncle Tom), he'd built a little expansion chamber for it, and it would rev its little heart out, given half a chance.
I was running a little late for work, and so was blasting along in the right hand lane, feet on the pillion pegs, lying on the tank, and left hand down on the fork-tube, between the triple clamps - Flat-tracker style.
The road took a long sweeping left bend, and I knew that further on there would likely be cars pulled up, waiting to make a right turn.
The car to my left was matching my speed, and I couldn't get past him as we continued around the never-ending bend. I was about to give up and drop back in behind him, when I looked up from the tank to see a Holden Kingswood parked in front of me, waiting to turn right across the oncoming traffic.
There was zero chance of pulling up in time, so I dropped the bike, and squatted on it as it Torvill & Deaned at speed into the back of the Kingswood. I lept backwards as hard as I could just before impact, and found myself sitting on the road, totally unscathed, without even a rip in my waiter cossie.
The bike had gone under the car, and the impact had lifted the back of the car enough to have the diff wedged on it.
The driver hadn't seen me coming. He'd felt the 'whack', but couldn't see anything out the back window. He got a break in the traffic and went to shoot across, but the wheels just spun. The next think he saw was me standing up behind the car, looking in the rear window.
We got the bike and car separated, and he thought the whole thing was pretty funny. I parked the bike up, the only real damage being the left side handlebar bent back at a right angle, and a broken clutch lever. I went off to work, which was only a couple of blocks away, and felt pretty chuffed with myself... until I realised I'd have to face my sister when I got home - That's when the damage happened...


Jun 23, 2011
Wow Eoin, that sounds like quite an experience :O
If you had a gopro back then it would have been a viral video by now!
I am glad you came away unscathed...but sorry about the sister wrath!

Eoin Christie

Jul 16, 2019
Wow Eoin, that sounds like quite an experience :O
If you had a gopro back then it would have been a viral video by now!
I am glad you came away unscathed...but sorry about the sister wrath!
Thanks - Sister wrath is scarier than bike crashes!