4 Day Tour - BKK-Chiang Mai-Doi Inthanon-Mae Sariang-Mae Sot.

CBR250

Mar 3, 2011
Time for a 90 day visa run.

Day 1: Bangkok - Chiang Mai and Doi Suthep.

Day 2: Chiang Mai and part of the MHS Loop.

Day 3: Chiang Mai - Doi Inthanon (the highest point in Thailand), Mae Sariang and down to Mae Sot.

Day 4: Into Burma, then West to Tak, Sukhothai, Phitsanulok and South to Home, Bangkok.

m1.jpg

m2.jpg

Day 1:

Time to hit the road at 7am.

1.jpg

After a surprisingly quick ride North, I was hitting the boulevard of trees through Lamphun by lunch time.

2.jpg

I love the story behind the orange clothe that's wrapped around them. About 6 years ago it was ruled that they should be cut down as drunk drivers and speeders kept on driving into them... the locals were aghast at the thought of their beautiful shade giving trees being chopped down... after the final verdict was passed and they had lost, they wrapped the trees in monk's robes...

No one would dare bring harm to them... and half a decade later they stand as majestic as ever.

5.jpg

Lunch time at Rider's Corner, on the corner of Moon Muang along the moat inside the old city, my abode for two nights.

10.jpg

An evening ride up Doi Suthep, and its many waterfalls.
6.jpg

9.jpg

Day 2:
Hitting the Mae Hong Son Loop, and some of its 1986 corners.
11.jpg

15.jpg

12.jpg

13.jpg

14.jpg

29.jpg

To the left:
20.jpg

To the right:

21.jpg

14.jpg

The 1095:

m2.jpg

24.jpg

Enough to give your bike twisted oil.

Time to get rid of these chicken stripes:
17.jpg

And work on that racing line:

18.jpg

Just watch out for some of the Thai potholes:

22.jpg

23.jpg

Entering the mist... cloud below to the right:

26.jpg

27.jpg

On the way up:

16.jpg

On the way down 30 mins later:

28.jpg

34.jpg

36.jpg

Time to finish with some book shopping (Half the price of Bangkok... 7 books (all the extra space in my tank bag) for only 1,100b!) and some quality Erdinger Weizen draft at only 180b a pop down in the Night Bazaar.
37.jpg

Chiang Mai rocks!

Day 3:

Up and off to Mae Sariang and then Mae Sot... passed Doi Inthanon National Park on the way, which hosts the highest point in Thailand... woulda been rude not to head up.
38.jpg

39.jpg

40.jpg

41.jpg

42.jpg

I'm afraid you have to walk the final 70 metres.
43.jpg

Wasn't half chilly on the ride up... almost put my rain gear on to stay warm, what a lovely ride though, great roads, blue sky and Fir trees of all things.

Dew and cones in Thailand, who'd have thought it:
44.jpg

49.jpg

45.jpg

46.jpg

47.jpg

Lots and lots of hot springs, caves, rivers and other natural attractions around these parts.
50.jpg

This girls was having a great ol' time smashing her Honda wave through the twisties, thottle pinned, every time I stopped there she was 10 seconds behind me.
51.jpg

53.jpg

Doi Inthanon NP was absolutely lovely.

Back on the road to Mae Sariang, what a great, great road..

m10.jpg

54.jpg

55.jpg

56.jpg

57.jpg

It takes you right along the river and through the valleys.

58.jpg

59.jpg

Spending a day on a straw hut in the middle of a muddy river, personally I'd rather be burning rubber.

60.jpg

61.jpg

Great roads, mountains and lakes.

62.jpg

Full of little S.E. Asian mountain farming villages.
63.jpg

64.jpg

65.jpg

66.jpg

67.jpg

Time to turn left into Mae Sariang and grab a highly nutritious 7-11 crap burger.
68.jpg

69.jpg

Thais really do have town entrances pretty much down to a fine art.

70.jpg

Leaving Mae Sariang for the 200km mountain trek along the Burmese border to Mae Sot.

71.jpg

72.jpg

What roads.

73.jpg

I've noticed all along the Burmese border that they're building these amazing roads with no one using them. I can only guess that with the help of China they're getting ready for when Burma really opens up and all those minerals will need to get up to the Chinese overlords... Whatever the reason they're ridiculously good.

Every ridge and bend has you gaping as the scenery unfolds.

74.jpg

It's a shame the drop in elevation of these hills don't really come out in pics.

75.jpg

Down at the bottom of this hill were some people walking along.

76.jpg

As I passed it was a gang of two middle aged women and three young children, each with a cloth sack filled with wood that was hanging off their forehead and over their back.

A sad, hard life.

77.jpg

78.jpg

79.jpg

80.jpg

Some nice traditional Thai culture... this pot is filled with water by the locals, so that any passers by can stop off for a drink. Traditionally most houses in Thailand would have one.
81.jpg

82.jpg

Yes that's three sections of the same road... biking heaven.

The dividing line, the river border between Thailand and Burma:
83.jpg

84.jpg

Arriving in Mae Sot at 6pm the first hotel the GPS sent me to was ironically called 'First Hotel' a cheap Sino-Thai place full of marble and carved wood it was only 600b with aircon... I think having the headboard for a night was worth alone.

87.jpg

121.jpg

122.jpg

Not too sure the carvings are the best thing to be looking at before heading in to bed though.

The place to eat in Mae Sot is Krua Canadian restaurant. The first five pages of the menu were all Mexican dishes, then it went on to Italian and Spanish, then the New Zealand and Aussie steaks, what a range of food for out in the sticks. It was NZ sirloin and some giant onion rings served with a well deserved half dozen black label and sodas (served in a beer glass) for under 1000thb!
86.jpg

Day 4:

Up early to head over 'The Friendship Bridge' and into Burma.

You can get a day pass for US$10 which allows you to stay until 5pm. Motorbike taxis charge 100b for an hour and if you've never been it's a great way to take a look around. They may share borders, but Thailand and Burma are a million miles apart.

Over the official bridge:
88.jpg

With the unofficial ferry along side:
89.jpg

A colourful guesthouse that unfortunately you cannot stay in. Day passes only given to foreigners.
90.jpg

Burma however is really opening up and tourist visas and restrictions are becoming easier and easier... there's a new 'friendship bridge' been announced in the North... how good does a weeklong tour of Northern Burma sound for your Thai visa run!

Some faces of Burma:
91.jpg

92.jpg

93.jpg

94.jpg

95.jpg

96.jpg

97.jpg

98.jpg

99.jpg

10 minutes outside a Burmese temple:
100.jpg

101.jpg

102.jpg

103.jpg

104.jpg

105.jpg

106.jpg

108.jpg

109.jpg

110.jpg

111.jpg

A confused GPS:
112.jpg
113.jpg

115.jpg

116.jpg

117.jpg

Just heading back when I came across this badboy. A TZR250 two-stroke! I had the 125 version as a 17 yr old and when the Power Valve kicked in at 9000rpm it was like lightening hit you.
119.jpg

120.jpg

What a blast that would be. I didn't think of it until halfway across the bridge but I should have found the owner... 30k thb cash would probably have seen it ferried across the river and into my possession. Add some new Tyga farings and what a little weekend track plaything that would be. 105kg with almost 50HP and the Yamaha Power Valve System... oh well.

Time to head home... the road from Mae Sot to Tak is as awesome as most of the region.

Stopped off for a poisonous day-glow green 'Iced Apple Tea'.
125.jpg

Lots and lots of National Parks with various things to see around these parts.
126.jpg

Riding through Sukhothai Historical Park:
127.jpg

Then heading onto Phitsanulok before turning South and heading home.

Back in time for dinner:
128.jpg

I hear a mini-tour of Southern Thailand and Northern Malaysia (where you can take your bikes over) calling in 90 days time.

Ride on!

Attached files
279818=10986-2.jpg
279818=10985-m2.jpg

Jan 9, 2011
Wow... Love all the twisty roads posted here. Show us some tire pic without any chicken strips... Love that also...

DavidFL

Staff member
Subscribed
Jan 16, 2003
Chiang Khong
www.thegtrider.com
Stupendous report & photos. You certainly had some nice light for photos in places.
Bravo too on covering such a lot of ground - an awesome ride on the mighty CBR250.

P.S. Fixed your photo alignment, Phew! It took quite a bit of time. LOL & thanks again for the report.

Franz

Jun 28, 2007
Marvellous fotos and a splendid trip report !! Thanks for sharing. How did the CBR perform, ticking over like a Swiss watch ?? And how was she on your butt; you must have ridden some 2,000 kms there ?
Yes that TZR would be a nice toy !! I think if you can get it in, it might not be so difficult to get a "Tabian Suam" for it as it is a 250 and there should be some books around.
Was also trying to find an RD 350/400/500 but so far no luck yet.................of course with plate.....

Cheers, Franz

Mar 4, 2011
Great post lovely pictures and write up.
I loved that bit you wrote about the trees on Lamphun Road being circled with Monks Robes.
I live on that road but did not know that story well done.

Dave

CBR250

Mar 3, 2011
Cheers.

How did the CBR perform, ticking over like a Swiss watch ?? And how was she on your butt; you must have ridden some 2,000 kms there ?
Yeah, think it was just under 2,500km. I do a lot of 500km+ day rides so my butt is well hardened at this stage. :)

The little 250 is great.

Left Bangkok at 7am and was with Phil in Rider's Corner at 1.30pm, including the detour through Lamphun and then the road of trees.

Have 35,000km on her now and she's still perfect. A light little blast in the twisties and comfortably cruising with WoT on the highways. (165kph indicated, just under 150kph GPS).