Fog lights ghosting

Fritzltouw

Ol'Timer
Jun 1, 2018
Bangkok
Hi everyone,

I installed some fog lights on my Himalayan a while ago. They're the kind of fog lights you get from Lazada in which you have 12 or 15 LEDs in one fog light aligned in rows of 3. Most likely crap from China. They seemed ok at first, installation went fine and I ran a resistor in between the battery and the switch/fog lights. I followed the standard wiring schematic that circulate on the internet and ADV rider forum.

Now the first week or two it was functioning well and the world was a happy place. Lights are bright and all LED lights switched off when I switched off the fog lights. However, then came rain.... not too much but a good soaking on the way back from a trip and after I got home I noticed that a couple of LED lights on both sides stay on when I switched off the lights. About 2 or 3 on each side. I measured and indeed there is a small amount of current flowing through the circuit. When I pull the resistor they switch off.

I guess it's water that got into the lights and I guess I should have bought proper ones but I see everyone here in BKK riding around with them so I thought why not. Any suggestions? Is this just bad quality, i.e., you shouldn't have bought Chinese crap from Lazada or does someone have a hunch of what these ghosting LEDs might be? It's not the switch because I measured that and it's fine.

Thanks,

DavidFL

Staff member
Subscribed
Jan 16, 2003
Chiang Khong
www.thegtrider.com
55 Lazada spotlights.

I went through boxes of these 600 baht specials on the Vstrom
1613194596669.png

Cute & cheap & waste of money was my final decision. You get what you pay for.

The Baja Design are the best, with Loboo # 2.
1613194712509.png

I now run the Baja Design through the high beam switch & the yellow Loboo lights through a manual switch as running lights.

1613195447070.png

BUT
I have been enjoying night riding so much, that I have picked up another set of discounted Loboo white spotlights to add that will run through the high beam switch. These will all be fitted to the 2017 model I just bought, giving a total of 164 W LED on high beam. Stay tuned to see how it goes.

Reactions: Ian Bungy

Fritzltouw

Ol'Timer
Jun 1, 2018
Bangkok
555 Yeah I figured the Lazada no brand, fits all bikes option wasn't going to last long. Thanks for the info. I'll go through that first and will see what I can get here in BKK. Should have enough choice here.

DavidFL

Staff member
Subscribed
Jan 16, 2003
Chiang Khong
www.thegtrider.com
A couple of posts of lights

What I ended up with
1639060010236-png.144285