New Route-Oudomxay By-pass

Mar 15, 2003
www.daveearly.com
Date: 1-Feb-2009
Rider: Dave Early
Bike: Suzuki DR650se

There has been talk of a “new” road that runs from somewhere in the vicinity of Boun Tay to the Luang Nam Ta Rd and cuts out the need to circle through Oudomxay when traveling in the Northern Laos region.

A previous post said some guesthouse owners in Boun Tay had information. I stopped and asked a young lady at the guest house and she said it was about 3-4 hours just follow the road. In Boun Tay there is a sign in the middle of town pointing to the guesthouse turnoff and then going about 2kms outside of town.

shroad2.jpg

shroad1.jpg

The first section of road was in really good condition for about 12km and I had my hopes up, but after passing through a small village it quickly deteriorated into a steep climb and very poor road with a number of water crossings.

newroute.jpg

Some pretty stiff inclines and decents in places.

shroad3.jpg

shroad4.jpg

shroad5.jpg

shroad6.jpg

shroad7.jpg

It never fails to impress me how these guys get around on their Chinese bikes.

shroad8.jpg

shroad10.jpg

shroad11.jpg

After making this crossing, you have to make a right, climb up about 1 meter high riverbank and then a sharp left “trials style”. I find it hard to believe that 4 wheelers can get through this area but apparently they do.

shroad12.jpg

shroad13.jpg

shroad14.jpg

Once clear of the poor section of road it is smooth sailing until this watercrossing.

shroad16.jpg

I came around the curve at speed and was faced with this bridge and watercrossing. First impression was no way am I going to go across that with the 650. I stopped near the water and everyone pointed and yelled for me to use the bridge.

shroad15.jpg

I was now in a bunch of loose sand and really was going to have difficulty turning around.

shroad17.jpg

I chose the water (and the half naked women bathing had nothing to do with the decision). I got a standing ovation from the friendly group when I stopped on the other side.

shroad18.jpg

The rest was a nice ride with great scenery. The older section (south end) that is actually the road to Meochai was a little rough. I figure it cut off about 75km from the Oudomxay route. I don’t know if it really saved any time because the middle section was fairly slow going.

I had told some other friends about the route and they tried it from North to South also. The XR250 had no problem but one of the guys on a Africa Twin had to turn back.

It was about 75kms and took me about 2.5 hours to complete the bypass section. Another hour to Luang Nam Ta.

I was going to name this the “Silver Hawk Bypass” as I thought I was the first to do it from our group but I later found out that Rex had gone South to North a few days earlier on his KLX250. :cry:

newrdmap.jpg

pee

Mar 10, 2006
Hi Silverhawk,

Thanks a lot for this report. I have been curious about this "Rex Bypass" since noticing the road starting from Bountai. It seems like a good way to avoid part of the rocky Phongsali track.
Last time I rode road 13 (Na Teuy-Oudom Xai) I stopped before Na Mor and asked people about it. From what they said I gathered that there are 2 tracks at the beginning (South to North). What they called the "old track" (starting from km58) and the "new track" (Km 59). That's roughly 2 kms before Ban Na Tong coming from Na Teuy..
I suppose the two merge at some point.
Cheers

Moto-Rex

Subscribed
Jan 5, 2008
Great report and photo's silverhawkUSA. You've summed it up brilliantly.

Apart from being a good shortcut, this was for me was one of the most enjoyable roads Ive come across in Laos. Best of all it cuts out most of HWY 1B, which is the worst road Ive ever ridden on.
I was going to Phongsali, from Luang Namtra, so I rode the road from south to north, making it an easy days ride.

Lots of farms waiting for the rain.
PICT0140.jpg

Road starts out dry, dusty and flat.
PICT0143.jpg

After the while you get to this muddy spot, and thats were a great off road section, of about 30km starts.
PICT0146.jpg

My photo's don't give justice to just how beautiful this area is, lots of little rivers and pretty villages.
PICT0148.jpg

There's some good river crossing on the way.
PICT0147.jpg

PICT0152.jpg

PICT0153.jpg

Would like to do this ride just after the wet season when its all lush, and the rice is about to be harvested, it would look even more stunning then I'd say.

Moto-Rex