Proposal for a couple of rides....The Legends 1148 Ride plus a Beer 'n a Baguette in NKP

DavidFL

Staff member
Subscribed
Jan 16, 2003
Chiang Khong
www.thegtrider.com
A couple of ride ideas I have been thinking about for awhile.

1. The Legends 1148 GTR Ride.
2. A Non-stop ride from Chiang Khong to NKP, 980 kms, for a beer & a baguette.

Both rides just for a laugh & some fun with a few fellow riders.

1. The Legends 1148 GTR Ride.
A Genghis Khan masterplan to conquer 1148.
R1148 is often voted the best road & ride in North Thailand.
It runs from Chiang Kham to Tha Wang Pha and is a magic twisting roller coaster ride through the mountains.
1616859149313.png

But which way is a better ride?
1615722355160-png.140344

Phu Langkha & Magic Mountain is roughly half way along 1148, has some accommodation with stupendous views.
So let's try this: a GTR dinner & night at Phu Langkha at one of the resorts / restaurants
The next day in the morning ride 1148 from Phu Langkha to Tha Wang Pha.
Have lunch in Tha Wang Pha, then in the afternoon ride back down 1148 to Phu Langkha & home to wherever.
A special edition GTR 1148 Legends T-shirt, with the names of the participating riders will be printed.
Accommodation availability at Phu Langka would need to be confirmed, as would food; but if there is enough riders I'm sure a resort will open & cater for us.

The proposed time would be the 1st or 2nd weekend of May, before too much rain.
Do we have any takers?

See also

2. A Non-stop ride from Chiang Khong to NKP, 990 kms, for a beer & a baguette.
This is a ride I've been thinking about for a long time & had planned to do on my old blue 2015 V-Strom, but sadly that's not happening now.
The idea: make a non-stop dash to Nakhon Phanom for a beer and a baguette.
upload_2019-7-26_22-45-23-png.131545

dsc_0360-jpg.133581

A beer at the De Cafe
gtr-img_0965-jpg.122449

Hang out for 1 or 2 nights, then wander back slowly to Chiang Khong or wherever in the North.
Just for the adventure, once a year - a Mekong to Mekong ride?
Riders could start from wherever in the North at various times on a designated day, but eventually we should all end up on R22 heading for a beer 'n baguette in NKP later that day.

The proposed time should be a weekend in May - June before any serious rain sets in.
Do we have any takers?

Reactions: Heineken

DavidFL

Staff member
Subscribed
Jan 16, 2003
Chiang Khong
www.thegtrider.com
Do we have any takers for The Legends 1148 GTR Ride.

Proposed date Saturday June 19, before any serious rains come?

The Phu Langkha Balcony will let us eat & drink as normal, if we stay there.
The Phu Langka Resort should be the same.

Phu Langkha & Magic Mountain is roughly half way along 1148, has some accommodation with stupendous views.
So let's try this: a GTR dinner & night at Phu Langkha at one of the resorts / restaurants
The next day in the morning ride 1148 from Phu Langkha to Tha Wang Pha.
Have lunch in Tha Wang Pha, then in the afternoon ride back down 1148 to Phu Langkha & home to wherever.
A special edition GTR 1148 Legends T-shirt, with the names of the participating riders will be printed.

Inspired by Luang Ta Boon Chuen the legendary monk who walked 1148.

Last edited:

Heineken

Ol'Timer
Subscribed
Mar 2, 2019
I am in aswell David, my dental appointment is tomorrow the 13th, not the 20th as I previously thought ;)

BTW did that barefooted Monk walk back again ?

DavidFL

Staff member
Subscribed
Jan 16, 2003
Chiang Khong
www.thegtrider.com
Indeed it sounded good & should be a total winner, but due to the inclement weather of the last few days; it maybe better to hold off until after the wet season now, due to the underwhelming response.

More than likely though, the weather may actually be good by the weekend, after this storm has passed with some significant flash floods in Nan, plus around Wiang Kaen downstream from Chiang Khong. Laos has also been hit hard in places too - Vang Vieng + Pha Oudom between Pha Tha & Pak Beng.

Reactions: Ian Bungy