Tyres - what where to get them.

Sep 4, 2007
I have the same - Scorpion Trail on the BMW. I also am very happy with their grip, wet and dry. I cannot say I have tried to push them so hard they let go though.
Wear also seems to be OK, plenty of tread left after 12000km.

Jurgen

Subscribed
Oct 23, 2009
www.chopard.org
I am looking for something appropriate for my ERn. Any idea what would be the most suitable for touring and wet roads and were I get it in Chiangmai in a time span of maximum two weeks? I was thinking about Metzeler Tourance but have not yet been touring the possible suppliers.

Jurgen

Subscribed
Oct 23, 2009
www.chopard.org
Thank you for your help ... I chose the Pirelli brand but another model. Speaking with GT-riders last night, they recommended a softer tyre. They also recommended a new shop called "Piston" in Chiangmai! Now I placed the order for a pair of Diablo Rosso ... but it takes two weeks, because they seem to be new to Thailand. I hope that they will be OK, most of my trips are on hard surfaces, sometimes stony but I try to avoid mud (when I can) :)

Sep 19, 2006
www.chiangmai-xcentre.com
Jurgen,
Not all Members of the GT-Rider fraternity are attuned to the actual Tyre Type and What You want to use them for? The Pirelli Diablo Rosso is a Fantastic Tyre if You want to go Riding Fast or use it on the Track! Downside is very little Mileage before they need Replacing! After You had explained to Me What exactly You want from Your Tyres I mentioned to You My Opinion on the Pirelli Scorpion Trail and some of the Guys have commented on them in this Thread. Pikey uses them on His Bonneville, The New Ducati Multistrada comes with them fitted as Standard. These Tyres are multi compound so the Sides are softer than the centre and the Tread pattern is designed to allow mild Off Road and wet condition riding! Also bear in mind that some High Performance Tyres need to get to a Optimum Operating Temperature before they work their best? But they take Longer than a Standard Tyre to get to it!!! Try the Rosso but next try the Scorpion Trail and let Us know after which works best?

Apr 23, 2006
Jurgen - I agree with Ian on this one. I think your Kawasaki will be "over tyred". By that I mean you will have tyres far in excess of your actual requirements. I dont think you'll have problems, but they wont last anywhere near as long as a more suitable tyre. I would have recommended something like the Bridgestone 020 (if they are available here) or the Pirelli Scorpion Trail - these seem to be getting good reports for ordinary road use - it is my intention to try them next time my Bonnie needs tyres (wallet cramp permitting!!) :)

Jurgen

Subscribed
Oct 23, 2009
www.chopard.org
Thank you guys. I will try to get the Diablo Rosso (as I have ordered them for the next 10 days) and as I want to be on the road soon. For the future, I will try a better planification and get advises before my socks are worn out. Not everything seems readily available in Thailand so sourcing is unfortunately also a point for decision. Let's see how long these tyres will last! I hope that my next choice is not before Christmas :crazy:

wimpy

Jan 31, 2005
I recently ordered these Dunlops from http://www.jcmotors.com/ in the USA. About 11,000 baht delivered UPS expedited to Chiang Mai. That is several thousand cheaper than I was quoted for comparable tires in Chiang Mai. It will be interesting to see how much duty they hit me with. :shock:

Dunlop Sportmax Q2 Rear Tire -Dunlop Sportmax Q2 Rear Tire - 190/50ZR-17
SKU: 31SM-22
1 $126.21

Dunlop Sportmax Q2 Front Tire -Dunlop Sportmax Q2 Front Tire - 120/70ZR-17
SKU: 31SM-75
1 $84.19

Subtotal: $200.40
Coupon Savings: -$10.00
Tax: $0.00
Shipping (Priority Mail International (6-10 Business days)): $161.75
Total: USD: $362.15

wimpy

Jan 31, 2005
backdoorphil wrote: how much was the import tax?
how much was the import tax?
courier delivery hard to avoid
They haven't arrived yet. According to the tracking they are in Taiwan. I think the typhoon is slowing things down. I fully expect to have to pay duty. Hopefully nothing too outrageous. I wanted them sent my airmail, but I think the package was too big for that.

wimpy

Jan 31, 2005
Tires arrived. 4200 baht for duty and vat. Ouch. They charge 30% duty on the shipping as well as the cost of merchandise. Bummer. Don't think I'll go this route again.

Jurgen

Subscribed
Oct 23, 2009
www.chopard.org
DSC_7193.jpg

For this time, I went the easy way and got Diablo Rosso in a couple of days. The original tires were still “runnable” after 10'000 km , and I hope that I can get the same out of these. I am always interested to hear other's experiences. Wishing to have slightly more grip for the ER6, if someone has a tip to share for the next change.

DavidFL

Staff member
Subscribed
Jan 16, 2003
Chiang Khong
www.thegtrider.com
wimpy wrote: Tires arrived. 4200 baht for duty and vat. Ouch. They charge 30% duty on the shipping as well as the cost of merchandise. Bummer. Don't think I'll go this route again.
Wimpy
I hope you enjoy the tyres then. Make 'em last if you can, but you'll have to back off a bit coming out of the corners & that will be hard to do with that wonderful bike of yours.
Re the customs duty, here in Thailand the value of the goods is nearly always cost including freight. Lucky you did not have them air freighted over eh?
Great to see you back on GT Rider. :thumbup:

wimpy

Jan 31, 2005
I was at Customs, picking up some camshafts a couple days ago. I mentioned that I recently had to pay 30% duty on some tires. He said tires should be 10% duty. He asked how they were shipped. I said UPS, and he told me that everything shipped by UPS, FedEx and DHL gets a 30% duty. Something about assessing a flat 30% duty on each shipping container regardless of what it contains. :cry:

Jul 25, 2010
I want to put Pirelli Scorpion Trails on a Versys but Kawasaki tell me they are out of stock and waiting, maybe until Jan/Feb with loads of back orders.
Does anyone know anything about Avon Pro Extreme? The tread pattern looks more like Pirelli MT60 enduro which I have seen somewhere on this site but they seem to be more a of a rough surface tyre than road. From what I have seen and been told, the Scorpion Trails are the most suitable solution for me but would rather put new tyres on the bike when I get it, hopefully next month.

Jul 25, 2010
Yes, they showed me Avon Pro Extreme in the kawaka shop today but I have never seen or heard anyone talking of them here.

wimpy

Jan 31, 2005
backdoorphil wrote: That's why no-one here goes that route.

[quote quote=wimpy]Tires arrived. 4200 baht for duty and vat. Ouch. They charge 30% duty on the shipping as well as the cost of merchandise. Bummer. Don't think I'll go this route again.
The retailer originally said they were going to send them by normal post. In that case the duty would have been 10% (acceptable). Apparently the package was too big, so they sent them UPS. Hence, the 30% duty. They ended up costing slightly more than a similar set of tires in Bangkok, but at least I got exactly what I wanted.

Sep 20, 2010
Hi,

My original tyres on my klx 250 are getting at the end of their life. What tyres are best for mostly off-road (80/20) here in Chiang Mai area? I heard the "quick" tyres are good and cheap, also the Pirelli MT-21 (but don't know if they have them for the KLX).

Thanks for sharing any advice/experience you had with knobbies tyres on the 250ies bikes.

Aug 29, 2008
I like the kwik on my klx,there very good in the twisties also, on road.
not sure about in the wet

Sep 20, 2010
Thanks, will try to get a pair of kwik (is that how to spell it?) and give a short review after I tried them. For the wet guess we'll have to wait until June or so...

Apr 15, 2010
Hi,

I am looking for a set of dual sports tyres 70/30 road/dirt for my Tenere. They should be cheap and long lasting.

Where and what to get in Bangkok?

90/90/21 and 130/80/17

Cheers,
Frank

DavidFL

Staff member
Subscribed
Jan 16, 2003
Chiang Khong
www.thegtrider.com
Franconian;264346 wrote: Hi,

I am looking for a set of dual sports tyres 70/30 road/dirt for my Tenere. They should be cheap and long lasting.

Where and what to get in Bangkok?

90/90/21 and 130/80/17

Cheers,
Frank

Pirelli Scorpions are the way to go. I just put a new 90/90 21 MT90 A/T on the front of my AT.

264519=778-img_4343.jpg

With 278,000 kms up the AT I've been using Bridgestone Trailwings for years, but recently swapped over to Pirelli Scorpions. Longer lasting & better in the wet.
Pirelli Thailand
http://www.competizioni-moto.com/

Check out the new front rim on the AT too guys.
Powder coated gold rim + spokes.
Powder coating done by Khun Richy at Richo in Chiang Mai.

Apr 15, 2010
Hi David,

I have used the Pirelli MT90 before in Australia. They were good. Where can I get them in Bangkok or Chiang Mai? Cost?
The new rim looks very good. How much did you pay for it and where? Did you also get a new rear one?

Cheers,
Frank

Jun 28, 2010
Anyone heard of Vichan tyres?

An old Thai guy from a bike shop on the Lamphun road near the Nong Hoi markets is telling me they are good sport touring tyre,the price is certainly right.

Apr 15, 2010
Is there a place in Chaing Mai with tyres on stock?

90/90/21 and 130/80/17 or 120/90/17?

My tyres were still too good to be replaced in Bangkok but I might need a new rear. Could even be used or Chinese made...

Cheers,
Frank