Hi Everyone

ip9496

Mar 22, 2021
Hi

I am originally kiwi (New Zealand) by birth but have been based in Sydney and Perth, Australia for the last 30 years and have also lived and worked in South Korea and Singapore. Been married to my Thai wife for 10 years and now living near Phitsanulok in central Thailand with her and her family. Started motorcycling in the early 70's and have owned a range of bikes from a Kawasaki dual sport 2 stroke 125 to a Suzuki GS850G which I still regret selling. I stopped riding when my kids were born partly because of time and partly due to some previously dormant responsibility genes kicking into life with the sound of crying babies. I am now as kid free as is possible and have started riding again.

I have bought a Yamaha XSR 155 and I am enjoying just getting out and riding the local area while I re-learn some of the skills required for an old motorcyclist. I would really like to meet some fellow riders to share the fun with and talk over ideas for the future. Any thoughts on the best (for Thailand, Laos, Cambodia, Vietnam) next bike from the list or other suggestions also welcome;
CRF300 Rally - IMS tank, Ohlins suspension, lowered, airbox and exhaust mods
XSR700
CB500X
Tenere 700
Tiger 900GT
F750GS
I know the decision will come down to me deciding what I really want to do in the end but right now I want to do it all so I am trying but failing to justify a CRF300 AND a Tiger 900 GT

Graeme

Heineken

Ol'Timer
Subscribed
Mar 2, 2019
Welcome to the forum Graeme ;)

We are spoilt for choice with motorbike brands here in Thailand, value for money I think most would agree that the CB500X is the best bang for buck, with a vast array of available accessories.

IMO the Triumph's and BMW's are great bikes, until you need servicing or parts, both availability and costs are ridiculous

IMO CRF's are an offroad bike, you dont want to be trying to be doing big distances on these bikes, put them in the back of a pickup and then go exploring when you get to the chosen area.

Good luck with whatever choice you make :cool:

ip9496

Mar 22, 2021
Thanks Heineken

I agree the CB500X is great value for money and looking through the web there are a lot of people who swear by them. What I am surprised by is how much I am enjoying the XSR155. It is a simple, fun reliable (so far) little bike that is easy to ride but not much left when you get to 90km/h and the seat is like a rock but for 91,000baht it is also good value. I think I will end up being happy with whatever I buy and tailoring my riding to suit the bikes strengths.

Graeme

Reactions: Alamo

DavidFL

Staff member
Subscribed
Jan 16, 2003
Chiang Khong
www.thegtrider.com
Gday & welcome to GTR.

Great to see your enjoying yourself on the XSR155.
It doesn't take much to enjoy yourself riding here, no matter what the bike is & the biggest most powerful, "mostest controls" aint necessarily the best for overall riding here, where cruising higher speeds are difficut to maintain.

Before you buy anything, I'd suggest you pop up to Chiang Mai & rent a few different bikes to see what feels good.
Make a deal with a shop to do the Samoeng loop on a few different bikes in a day to get an idea of what it is like.
Then maybe look for a nice second hand one for the first 12-18 months; and then take the plunge on a new one.

You missed the mighty Vstrom 650 & the Kawasaki Versys 650 in your list of options.
Both these bikes are quite adequate & reliable for riding here.
Everyone is different. I'm a Vstrom 650 man, but there are hard core Versys riders on GTR who swear by them as well.
You could rent either of those models in Cnx & test em back to back on the Samoeng Loop. And a 500X Rally too if you wanted.
Give it a go.

If you're looking for places to ride

Lakota

Subscribed
Oct 10, 2011
If your enjoying your current bike then stick with it.

I used to enjoy riding my KLX250S, similar to the CRF300L. I think it's a good allrounder if you don't need crazy speeds and especially if you want to get off the beaten track. I have an older model CB500X which is a lot more refined and eats the miles better than the KLX or CRF ... and with much more comfort and it's still relatively light and easy to live with.

You can get spoiled moving up to a 'perceived' 'better' bike.

I bought a second hand Vstrom 650 last year . I'm not a fast rider , most Thai's pass me on Honda waves but I just enjoyed the extra power but not the extra weight.

Now I have a New CRF1100L4 Africa Twin. It took some getting used to . It's border line 'too heavy' for me with my riding skills But I absolutely love it.
The Vstrom is my workhorse and gets most use.

The KLX250S and CB500X hardly get used now but if I was going to Laos I think I'd choose one of em.

I would say the V-strom 650 is the most 'Planted' for want of a better word

Both the Vstrom and the AT are 'Awesome'

Reactions: Heineken

Heineken

Ol'Timer
Subscribed
Mar 2, 2019
^ Like most of us here Mark we have a choice of bikes in the shed, all bikes are a compromise, choosing one allrounder is not an easy choice ;)

Desmocrat

Subscribed
Mar 1, 2021
Meuang Loei
Welcome. I'm a newbie to this forum too, but have felt very welcomed myself. I'm in Loei if you want to get an "intermediate" ride in before heading to the northwest. I'm finidng lots of nice twisties around here. Enjoy wherever you are on whatever mount you have on hand.

ip9496

Mar 22, 2021
Thanks for all the responses! It definitely makes me feel welcome and getting sensible advice is a great bonus. Interestingly the Versys 650 was my theoretical bike of choice until I went and sat on one. I just about needed a step ladder to get my leg over the seat and it took me 2 attempts to lift it off the side stand. Once I got it off the stand I could only just tippy toe on each side, since then I have been looking for anything shorter and lighter. I am 170cm and cannot even flat foot both sides on the XSR155 wearing sneakers. I will have to install a lowering kit in almost anything I buy but the Versys felt too heavy for me to handle easily when parking etc and the Vstrom 650 is heavier. I have no idea how I managed a 275kg GS850G back in the day but I remember having to be very strategic about where I stopped.

The try before I buy idea in Chiang Mai is appealing but we are pretty much tied to home at the moment and I cannot get away for a few days. Given the reality of my size and the fact that it is such good value I am leaning towards the CB500X now. The Triumph/BMW would be better motorbikes for the type of riding I will probably end up doing but the only real advantages they have over the CB500X is more buttons and the brand appeal and I don't really think that justifies over twice the cost.

Desmo
I had already spotted Loei as a potential shorter ride so you may see me soon, just enjoying life on my XSR155.

Desmocrat

Subscribed
Mar 1, 2021
Meuang Loei
Thanks for all the responses! It definitely makes me feel welcome and getting sensible advice is a great bonus. Interestingly the Versys 650 was my theoretical bike of choice until I went and sat on one. I just about needed a step ladder to get my leg over the seat and it took me 2 attempts to lift it off the side stand. Once I got it off the stand I could only just tippy toe on each side, since then I have been looking for anything shorter and lighter. I am 170cm and cannot even flat foot both sides on the XSR155 wearing sneakers. I will have to install a lowering kit in almost anything I buy but the Versys felt too heavy for me to handle easily when parking etc and the Vstrom 650 is heavier. I have no idea how I managed a 275kg GS850G back in the day but I remember having to be very strategic about where I stopped.

The try before I buy idea in Chiang Mai is appealing but we are pretty much tied to home at the moment and I cannot get away for a few days. Given the reality of my size and the fact that it is such good value I am leaning towards the CB500X now. The Triumph/BMW would be better motorbikes for the type of riding I will probably end up doing but the only real advantages they have over the CB500X is more buttons and the brand appeal and I don't really think that justifies over twice the cost.

Desmo
I had already spotted Loei as a potential shorter ride so you may see me soon, just enjoying life on my XSR155.
I got out and did a 400km loop this morning. Some really nice twisties around here. I guess I will be needing to do my initial service over in Udon Thani in the next week or so, then I will be venturing northwest to have a look at the roads up that way. Nan area will probably be my first target. I hear it is hard to beat.

DavidFL

Staff member
Subscribed
Jan 16, 2003
Chiang Khong
www.thegtrider.com
I got out and did a 400km loop this morning. Some really nice twisties around here. I guess I will be needing to do my initial service over in Udon Thani in the next week or so, then I will be venturing northwest to have a look at the roads up that way. Nan area will probably be my first target. I hear it is hard to beat.

Riding in Nan

Bruce

Jan 18, 2021

Desmo
I have the same problem..short legs.
Loved the CBX 500 but had to let it lean over to get my leg on the ground at traffic lights etc.
They can lower the seat and the front of the bike..but not sure how it effects the handling.
Now have a Kawasaki Vulcan 650S.
More than happy, reach the ground quite easily and great to ride.

bradmeister

Ol'Timer
Subscribed
Mar 7, 2017
Bangkok
www.bdsperformance.co.th
Hi Graeme,

Welcome.

My hommies above called the ball!

Rent a few bikes, or borrow a few bikes and see whats a good bike for you here.

I can tell you this much: I have 5 bikes for everything I like riding. I even ride my friends bikes... its a sickness, don't let that happen to you!

My advise on engine size (after reading your intro) is this:

Just you and small panniers A 500 to 650 cc engine is good.

You and a woman, min of 750cc for tour and mountain riding.

You, woman and panniers: 900cc to 1000

The above and long tours over days.... or weeks over 1000cc.

Whatever you do, No Pizza Boxes! Unless you will be making deliveries to supplement your income.

Its not good for aerodynamics, suspension or weight distribution or over maxing GVWR. Think Im kidding?

Besides, 4 out of 5 Thai babes surveyed believe you look old with a top box, and they prefer not to have to climb over/around it when mounting or dismounting your machine.

You may feel free to borrow or try anything I have in BKK. 3 ninjas (different sizes) a 500x and klx.....oh, and a K1200S

Happy hunting

Reactions: Oddvar and Heineken

Desmocrat

Subscribed
Mar 1, 2021
Meuang Loei
Riding in Nan
Hey David, I thought I would just check in for a few minutes and see new posts. Here I am an hour later after following your link to tales of Nan. I'm going to get up there in a few weeks and see for myself. I feel that I can venture up there with confidence as your reports are very thorough. Looking forward to this exploration. Sorry for hijacking ip9496's introductory thread (I think he should come along for a look too). Chris from Loei's Saloon also offered to show me around some of the rides up in Nan.

DavidFL

Staff member
Subscribed
Jan 16, 2003
Chiang Khong
www.thegtrider.com
Hey David, I thought I would just check in for a few minutes and see new posts. Here I am an hour later after following your link to tales of Nan. I'm going to get up there in a few weeks and see for myself. I feel that I can venture up there with confidence as your reports are very thorough. Looking forward to this exploration. Sorry for hijacking ip9496's introductory thread (I think he should come along for a look too). Chris from Loei's Saloon also offered to show me around some of the rides up in Nan.

Reactions: Desmocrat