Ordering Riding Gear From Overseas To Thailand

Erik

Feb 21, 2019
Hi everyone. I'm new to the site, but been living in Thailand for 13 or so years. I used to ride a bit when I was in the US, but I picked it up again about 6 years ago and haven't looked back. Hazards aside, Thailand has some of the most amazing places to ride that I've seen.

I don't know if you guys are anything like me, but I spend a lot of time researching protective gear. Things are getting better, but it's always frustrating spending hours reading reviews and finding just the right jacket, only to discover that Panda Rider doesn't have your size and won't be getting the next delivery for 6 months.

So, I've seen a shop on ebay called moto-central based in the UK, also a website fc-moto.de based in Germany, which both have wide selections and ship to Thailand. I don't know if there are any Singapore based options or Malaysia, but that was my next thought.

The issue is, I've been stung a couple times by Thai customs, and wondered if anyone has bought online and had any experience they could share? I once had a (non motorbike related) shipment sent via DHL and ended up getting an import tax bill that cost more than the item itself. Since then I've read a lot of similar stories involving DHL.

Any details about good places to shop, which carrier the item was sent with, and what sort of tax percentage to expect would be super helpful. I don't mind paying tax as long as it's reasonable, I just don't want any surprises.

Thanks everyone and happy riding.

Kiwi Cruiser

Ben Kemp
Staff member
May 26, 2007
Thailand
I buy a lot of stuff off Ebay, and Lazada. In general, I avoid buying online from anyone on Ebay who;
  1. Ships via DHL, FedEx etc - the courier companies are all pretty ruthless about charging maximum rates for tax and duties. I once got stung for "storage" at DHL because they refused to comprehend my description of the package content (camp stretcher) and it took longer than the allowable free "holding/storage" time. I then had to drive 200 kms from Mae Sariang to Chiang Mai to collect it myself from their nearest delivery point!!! Thieving mongrels...
  2. States that "Customs services and international tracking provided" because they screw you too! Often the items they are automatically be charging customs duties for are going to get through free!
Any small items sent via USPS or other countries government postal services are generally going to get through without an issue, and with no customs duties or taxes applied / imposed. I think that by definition, more valuable items are usually sent by courier, so they automatically attract scrutiny.

Any bigger items that are manufactured here in Thailand- for example, motorcycle helmets - are almost guaranteed to incur duties, regardless of how they are sent. However, packages shipped via USPS, China Post etc automatically go through the Thai Post EMS system - who will apply fair charges, and collect them from you at the post office when you go to collect the package.

Erik

Feb 21, 2019
Thanks to you both for the helpful replies. Totally agree about DHL, I got burned ordering something unrelated once and had the same opinion of them. Good to hear my suspicions confirmed. Happened 5 years ago but I'm still mad when I think about it, lol

Also Kiwi, agree that shipments via govt post seems to cause less issues. Posted this on Facebook and some people recommended revzilla because they ship using USPS. But I was hoping to find a site that was a bit closer than halfway around the world. I'll keep looking on Ebay, but the ones I've contacted so far ship via UPS / DHL. I use Lazada for mostly computer stuff, but haven't found their selection great on bike gear. Any other sites you recommend? FC-moto.de has a good selection but use DHL and non helpful. Another person suggested Fortamoto.com, a Dutch site, but I haven't contacted yet.

DavidFL, Thanks for the forum link. I'll look through it, but as I live in Bangkok and have lived in Chiang Mai, I have probably been to most. Maybe it's worth keeping a running forum for recommended intl vendors?

Kiwi Cruiser

Ben Kemp
Staff member
May 26, 2007
Thailand
Highly Recommended: "Sonic Moto" shop in Italy, sells on Ebay: sonic-moto | eBay

I've purchased a Mesh Jacket, Riding Pants, Boots etc from this store in the past year...
- products are excellent quality at very good prices
- delivery is fast
- packaging is plain and does not attract attention - no duty charged on any items so far
- shipping is either very inexpensive or "Free International Shipping"

Erik

Feb 21, 2019
thanks for the recommendation, that's just what I was looking for. Some vendor on Ebay that someone actually has personal experience with and favorable shipping options for Thailand. Much appreciated the help.

DavidFL

Staff member
Subscribed
Jan 16, 2003
Chiang Khong
www.thegtrider.com

Erik

Feb 21, 2019
Edit.. spoke to soon. The successful delivery in tracking was just the tax bill lol. Tax worked out to about 36%, so ended up paying about the same as what panda rider was charging. No big loss, and worth trying again.