3 Days/2 Nights Ride From Chiang Rai - Any Recommendations?

Mactao

Oct 22, 2012
Hello Guys,
I am planning to go to Chiang Rai this week-end and rent a Versys to make a 3 days/2 nights trip around the area. What would you recommend? I see a lot of informations about trips from Chiang Mai but not much from Chiang Rai...
Many thanks for your help!

DavidFL

Staff member
Subscribed
Jan 16, 2003
Chiang Khong
www.thegtrider.com
With GTR Golden Triangle Map.....

Too many places to go.
Doi Mae Salong - Thoed Thai - Doi Tung
all to the north-west of Chiang Rai.
Make a big day of it, head straight up to Mae Sai, then take the Burma border back road to Doi Tung, then cut across to Thoed Thai & check out Khun Sa the opium warlord's old HQ, then move onto DMS for the night.

Mae Sai - Golden Triangle - Chiang Saen - Chiang Kong
Swing round to the north east & you could hit Chiang Khong / Chiang Saen / Golden Triangle / Mae Sai.
Straight up to Mae Sai, turn right & basically follow the Mekong around to Chiang Khong.
At the GT take a boat across to Don Sao the Lao island, check out the ruins of Chiang Saen & continue on downstream to end up in Chiang Khong for the night.

On the way back from Chiang Khong to Chiang Rai, use R1155 to do The Big Dipper across to R1020, then go on to Chiang Rai.
On the road with Destination Thailand TV part 8

Phu Chi Fah is also an option from Chiang Khong, but as it is wet season it may well be less than enjoyable in the mountains.
Phu Chi Fa - Doi Pha Tang - Mae Hong Son

My top two towns to stay in are Doi Mae Salong & Chiang Khong.
Doi Mae Salong Accommodation
Chiang Khong Accommodation

FOOD
Chiang Rai Restaurants
Chiang Khong Restaurants
Chiang Saen Restaurants

Some ideas here from GTR & Destination Thailand TV
GT Rider on Destination Thailand TV

Chiang Rai
Chiang Rai Province

Let us know how you go.

ianyonok

Subscribed
Dec 9, 2008
You got most of it there, David.
It hasn't rained in Chiang Saen for the last couple of days. I think Phu Chee Fah would have been fantastic yesterday. In between the rain if up in the mountains you can see for 100 miles at this time of year and the green green scenery is just gorgeous.
If it is raining a lot at the weekend I would head to Khun Khon waterfall SW of the city. The tallest fall in Chiang Rai at 70m and in a beautiful jungle setting. You can swim in the pool at the bottom too.