10 Day Northern Tour

Chantony

Subscribed
Oct 21, 2016
Chanthaburi
Hi all,

along with two Thai riders I hope to ride from Bangkok for a tour of the North from the 3rd November, being one Vstrom 650xt, one Versys 650 and one Versys x300 we aim to take the direct route to Uttaradit via Saraburi/Lopburi, Phichit and Phitsanulok then continue through Phrae/Phayao onto Chiang Rai. We plan to stay several nights in Chiang Rai to explore surrounding roads, then ride up to Tachilek and round to Chiang Khong where we hope to spend a night before heading down into Nan province for several nights then going to Chiang Khan for 2 nights before heading home. I would be most grateful if anyone could share there knowledge of where checkpoints are positioned (I understand they can be there one day and gone the next) and what checks are being undertaken ie is vaccine certificate required or is a negative test from a local hospital acceptable, or even do some checkpoints do testing on the spot? I am aware of official requirements and am just looking for some 'local knowledge' feedback from those on the ground along the route,
many thanks in advance!

DavidFL

Staff member
Subscribed
Jan 16, 2003
Chiang Khong
www.thegtrider.com
My advice is don't worry about the check points.
They are usually located on a provincial border crossing, by a local health department branch.
Sometimes they are manned, sometimes not.
In my experience the last few months of extensive travel, they leave bikers alone; however when checked I've only ever had a temp check & asked for contact details the same as checking into a hotel. It is not an issue to be overly concerned about.
If any of you have a vax just bring evidence of the vax on your phone.

Last edited:

Chantony

Subscribed
Oct 21, 2016
Chanthaburi
Thank you David you were spot on, currently in Chiang Rai perusing our day trip riding options, spoilt for choice by the look of it.

DavidFL

Staff member
Subscribed
Jan 16, 2003
Chiang Khong
www.thegtrider.com
Thank you David you were spot on, currently in Chiang Rai perusing our day trip riding options, spoilt for choice by the look of it.

Mountain roads to ride up around the Top North
Doi Larng
Doi Mae Salong
Doi Tung
Doi Pha Tang
Phu Chi Fah
A Chiang Kham Loop & Phu Arnmar
Phaya Phipak – the big dipper

Trip reports: Places to go & see.
A Top End Meander
Mae Sai Pottering Around.
Doi Pha Tang
The Big Dipper the steepest road on the GT – Laos border run.
Phu Chi Fah

6 nights 7 days in the Top North.
A Chiang Kham Loop & Phu Arnmar
Kaeng Pha Dai & the Mekong End Of the Road
Riding The Mekong @ Chiang Khong
Riding the Mekong @ the Golden Triangle
Chiang Khong & the Great Roller Coaster Ride & Route

The Sensational Singapore Road
The twisting steep Phu Anma Road
Phayao – Dok Kham Tai’s amazing teak Wats

Thoed Thai: You can’t claim to have done the Golden Triangle unless you have a night in Thoed Thai; the ex home of the late Khun Sa, the famous Shan freedom fighter / drug war lord.

Chantony

Subscribed
Oct 21, 2016
Chanthaburi
Doi Mae Salong can now be ticked off the list! Empty roads and clear air and skies, stunning day indeed.

1636171118009.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator: